It's new drill time:(

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
See here for my review of the Makita BHR202.

I also have a BHP451 and yes it is superb. But for holes in hard masonry I'm using the 202.

No one drill can 'do it all' IMO, so i'd say buy both.

The Makita seem to be the beast of choice at the mo.......That said, I`ve got the Milwaukee 18VLi-Ion, and, as you said earlier, it does (almost) everthing until the SDS has to come out & play. The almost is auger drilling (at the mo, I`m using the Irwin 6X bits - WOW!. But the torque they need is huge - so I get my old mains Bosch out, on low gear........

KME
Like you I use the irwin 6X bits, 19 and 25mm. The dewalt copes beautifully with them. When buying that I also got the dewalt cordless angle drill. Cordless partly because it has more torque than the corded!

It also copes well with the irwin bits. Only snag is the bits are self drilling and can be difficult to control, once your cutting they just want to carry on.

How do you find them KME?

I also have the 18v angle drill and find it a great bit of kit... loads of torque, luckily I have one half decent battery left so I'll keep the angle drill going for as long as I can

My combi is now a bit too far gone:(

Safe: I find `em brill - but my 20 & 22 mm managed to find drywall screws when drilling for conduit in a stud wall - have to see if snakehips can resharpen `em. I love the bits though - make a nice, easy hole through every lump of wood I`ve put em against.

Angle drill - now that is something I don`t have (yet). Going to be on the shopping list soon though, methinks.......

Haven't used any one else's angle drill but the dewalt cordless is money well spent. Great for joists but also comes out for those awkward little, tight spot jobs too. Got the drill naked, (drill not me), :Blushing when I replaced the bosch combi with the dewalt last year. At Surrey Elex show actually. Uses less space in the van that way.

I have always used the dewalts , however I have looked at the Milwaukee range for some time. I do like the Festool range, however I think they are more suitable to joiners than electricians. I may be in touch with you next month Mark I am tempted by those Milwaukee kits.
Ok mate, that would be great.

Mark,I've only just discovered that you sell tools as well. Your signature says "electrical test equipment".

I was starting a review of the makita 202 cordless sds, when the forum "similar threads" function threw up this:

http://www.talk.electricianforum.co.uk/showthread.php?11012-Makita-SDS-cordless&p=150680#post150680

I wish i'd known, as I've just invested a little over a grand in Makita cordless kit.

But what I'd really like to know is this: I use Edmundsons and they have Bosch kit on display. Their prices are a bit high. I asked if they could source Makita and was told "no". Then i notice ISS are part of the Edmundsons group!!! Hows that?
Sorry mate, Edmundson is a big company and i haven't really advertised the fact much, obviously a GRAND mistake on my part.

Be very sure i will rectify that mistake.

I bought all milwaukee kit last month and cant fault it. I heard that makita and dewalt are not what they used to be, ie. the ones advertised in screwfix plastic cogs where they were metal to get prices down. You get 3 year warantee with milwaukee and membership of the heavy duty club, whatever this is!ROTFWLROTFWL

Sorry Mark...Got the Makita kit today (LXT202)... not used it properly yet, but it seems to be a great bit of kit!
Oh yes! so it is!

The BHP451 is so strong in speed 1, watch that it doesn't snap your wrists if the drill snags! I used it to drive my SBC the other day and nearly regretted it (stick to the SDS for that).

Bosch GSB 18VE 2li - the best cordless drill you can buy at the moment. We use two of these at work (by use i mean seriously abuse :) ). Strong, light batteries last and charge extremely fast. Make sure you get the 3Ah batteries for it.
So you have tried every drill on the market?

At my old company we used bosch drills,now that ive started on my own i thought i would keep using bosch as i like them and they work well so i bought these -

18v GSB 18VE-2LI

36V GBH 36V-LI

got the little drill free

IMG_1459.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Mate what music to my ears
Guiness.gif
, having just invested in Milwaukee big time i am so glad their name was mentioned here.

I have already had contact with NozSpark regarding this but if anyone else would like to take a look at the 18v combi kit check it out here.

As always if anyone is after a new drill or is interested give me a call or PM me for our best price, I can't move to much on this but there is some movement to bring it to the kind of level folks have been discussing.

Hi pal im gonna purchase an 18v combo kit, i was thinking milwaukee m18 fuel 6 piece set,consists of all 18volt=  drill, sawzall, grinder, impact driver, sds drill, flashlight, 2 x 3ah batteries, charger and tool bag, im getting all for   640 pounds all in (buying kit in sydney as im living there) my related questions are, 1.When i move home (ireland) will the cold weather effect tools. 2 Is this the best kit size to go for by the way money is not an object as i want this to be a good investiment. 3 Pros and cons of this combo kit. Im an electrician by trade and my work will involve, industrial work mainly also commercial and domestic from time to time, working with steel conduit, trunking tray etc, drilling holes in steel from 2/14mm hss bits        20/50mm hole saws = mainly steel trunking,  some wood,  screws,  tec screws, masonary from 6/25mm cutting pipe 20/25 etc.Can u advise me if im making the correct choice here please.

Many Thanks

Desmond