It's new drill time:(

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NozSpark

Seaman stains™
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was just wondering what cordless drill people would go for if they had to buy a new one.

I've currently got a 18v Dewalt combi which I (ab)use for everything from drilling 16mm holes in masonry to screwing, It's now starting to cause me trouble in the reliability department... sometimes it works and other times it just doesn't.

It has been repaired in the past - new brushes, batteries, trigger assy & most recently a new motor... but right now I think it needs a new trigger, gearbox and batteries so in a way it's not really an economic repair... it has lasted 6 years up to now.

Other drills in my collection are...

a 18v Dewalt angle drill, an old Makita 2 speed hammer drill (not used much at all) and a cheap SDS

I would say my budget would be about

I haven't got the time to do a detailed reply just now, but I've recently bought some new kit and have some thoughts to share. I'll be doing a review too.

What do you want the drill for mostly? Light drilling and driving (eg into wood, screws etc) or more 'heavy duty' hole drilling?

I'll be back (later)!

Noz,

For me it would be an 18V Bosch LI again.

I have a DeWalt 18VLi & the Bosch as weel & the Bosch is streets ahead IMHO.

You can also get a "family" of tools that use the same batteries & the LBoxx system where the carry cases clip together like the Festool storage units.

I am just about to get an 18V jigsaw & angle grinder, I already have the impact screwdriver as well as the combi drill.

HTH

DeWalt 18v Lion combi for me. Bought one last year,been using it for 3 months and it is streets ahead of the Bosch it was bought to replace. Also uses the old Nicad batteries if needed. The Bosch just seemed to happy to give up where the DeWalt will tackle the same jobs in it's stride.

Hi Mate,

I just bought a Makita 18V Li-On combo for

Last edited by a moderator:
Most of the builders I work for all have makita 18v lions so think I'm gonna go for one next as heard nothing bad about them. I've got dewalt 18v combi which has lasted 7+ years so good drill really but nicd batts knackered now.

safe,I find the opposite with my 2!

I find the Bosch will do more than the DeWelt, funny aint it!
You're not wrong there. Could be my Bosch was a bit iffy. I've just had to return a battery from my Bosch GOP multi saw. It's a 10.8 Lion and wouldn't hold a charge for more than 2 minutes. Only had it about 9 months.

The Makita seem to be the beast of choice at the mo.......

That said, I`ve got the Milwaukee 18VLi-Ion, and, as you said earlier, it does (almost) everthing until the SDS has to come out & play. The almost is auger drilling (at the mo, I`m using the Irwin 6X bits - WOW!. But the torque they need is huge - so I get my old mains Bosch out, on low gear........

KME

The Makita seem to be the beast of choice at the mo.......That said, I`ve got the Milwaukee 18VLi-Ion, and, as you said earlier, it does (almost) everthing until the SDS has to come out & play. The almost is auger drilling (at the mo, I`m using the Irwin 6X bits - WOW!. But the torque they need is huge - so I get my old mains Bosch out, on low gear........

KME
Mate what music to my ears Guinness , having just invested in Milwaukee big time i am so glad their name was mentioned here.

I have already had contact with NozSpark regarding this but if anyone else would like to take a look at the 18v combi kit check it out here.

As always if anyone is after a new drill or is interested give me a call or PM me for our best price, I can't move to much on this but there is some movement to bring it to the kind of level folks have been discussing.

I have always used the dewalts , however I have looked at the Milwaukee range for some time. I do like the Festool range, however I think they are more suitable to joiners than electricians. I may be in touch with you next month Mark I am tempted by those Milwaukee kits.

I have the makita lxt 202 combo pack, it's brilliant. I always find dewalts' triggers 'go'. The variableness goes on them too quick. then its either on or off. Never had a prob with makita though.

Cheers guys,,,

I think I've now narrowed it down (with your help) to the Milwaukee twin pack and the Makita LXT202 twin pack...

My mate has an AEG 18v combi (same as Milwaukee) and I do use it from time to time, but I like the idea of the Makita quick charge

Now to try and get some hands on, see how they feel;)

Mate what music to my ears Guinness , having just invested in Milwaukee big time i am so glad their name was mentioned here.I have already had contact with NozSpark regarding this but if anyone else would like to take a look at the 18v combi kit check it out here.

As always if anyone is after a new drill or is interested give me a call or PM me for our best price, I can't move to much on this but there is some movement to bring it to the kind of level folks have been discussing.

Mark,

I've only just discovered that you sell tools as well. Your signature says "electrical test equipment".

I was starting a review of the makita 202 cordless sds, when the forum "similar threads" function threw up this:

http://www.talk.electricianforum.co.uk/showthread.php?11012-Makita-SDS-cordless&p=150680#post150680

I wish i'd known, as I've just invested a little over a grand in Makita cordless kit.

But what I'd really like to know is this: I use Edmundsons and they have Bosch kit on display. Their prices are a bit high. I asked if they could source Makita and was told "no". Then i notice ISS are part of the Edmundsons group!!! Hows that?

Got this one about 6 months ago. best drill i have ever had.

Makita BHP451 18V Combi Drill - 2 x 3.0Ah Li-ion Batteries

BHP451RFE