joinig the IET???

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

madeinengland

Reaction score
hi guys. i have posted my story on here before so won't bore you with it again but for anybody interested see below link.

http://www.talk.electricianforum.co.uk/student-learning-zone-c-g-2330-levels-2-3-c-g-2381-c-g-2391-other-co/15295-how-can-do-i-get-registered.html

anyway i was talking to a sparky who comes in to test and inspect the foundry i work in the other day and got talking about qualifications and what not as he found out that i'd taken all my exams.

he asked me if i was interested in taking the fact i've passed all my exams any further (e.g get a job as a sparks) and i told him i wanted to get into the testing side but need to register with napit,or niceic or elecsa etc but need to have a few jobs done in order to get assessed and stuff.

i asked him which one of these he's a part of and he told me he's not joined to any. he told me he's a member of the IET and this is far better than any of the schemes as the IET is the organisation that make the regulations that all schemes have to follow.

this is something i've never heard of before.he's south african but has lived and worked as a sparky in this country for 25 years so he's legit.

anybody on here a member of the IET or know anything about it???

how do you join the IET??? and what does it allow you to do???

I'm a Technician Member of the IET (TMIET). You will find information on their website (The Institution of Engineering and Technology - The IET). However to return to your question you do not need to belong to any organisation to carry out electrical work including inspection and testing. You simply must be competent to carry it out.

It's simply the client who may ask you to be a member of this or that organisation, in which case you would have to ask them what they require.

so i could carry out a periodic inspection and test,or do a rewire and test it without being part of a scheme. this includes the issuing of certificates. i have 2391,17th editon etc...

As long as you are competent to do so, then of course you can. There is no requirement for any particular qualifications nor is there a requirement to belong to any scheme (unless, as I say, the client has some specific requirement for it).

I gather you are based in England so of course there are certain legal requirements regarding notification of certain works in domestic premises.

you must be registered with a scam provider to be able to notify work. not sure about IET, but i dont think they allow you to notify

but if your doing PIRs or non-domestic, then just get on with the job

The IET do not run a notification scheme.

You can join though to get TMIET you have a desk audit of your qualifications to see if they are suitable, they used to have to be a certified copy notorised by a Chartered Engineer.

Once you get TMIET you can then progress through IEng to CEng, though there is also the new Technologist designation which I don't understand.

You will also need a proposer & a seconder for membership of any category, or at least you used to!

Paul,

BSc.(Hons), MEng, IEng, MIET, TechIOSH

i know all about the "competant" person etc. but you can't sign off work without one of these schemes though can you??

you need to contact the building authorities and stuff.

Yes,if you do domestic work you fall under part p which you have to notify to building control on every job and pay them a substantial fee or you koi one of the " scams" and will be much more simple. But if u do any commercial, industrial or periodic testing u don't need to be part of any organisation

Yes,if you do domestic work you fall under part p which you have to notify to building control on every job and pay them a substantial fee or you koi one of the " scams" and will be much more simple. But if u do any commercial, industrial or periodic testing u don't need to be part of any organisation
so i could do all the inspecting and testing of the foundry myself??

so i could carry out a periodic inspection and test,or do a rewire and test it without being part of a scheme. this includes the issuing of certificates. i have 2391,17th editon etc...
i know all about the "competant" person etc. but you can't sign off work without one of these schemes though can you?? you need to contact the building authorities and stuff.
so i could do all the inspecting and testing of the foundry myself??
From your questions madeinengland I assume you have not read Guidance note 3 or approved document P. Possibly even some key parts of BS7671 either? BS7671 is a non-statutory document. So legally you do not have to have anything to test any installations that your want to. However as Sidewinder says, the Insurance and Health & Safety aspects of testing a workplace may impose their own requirements. Scheme membership is for self certifying your domestic work that is notifiable. But Homeowners can also do thier own work if fees are paid and appropriate notice is given. Approved Doc P & GN 3 explain all of this.

Doc H.

no doc hudson i have not read approved doc p. but i have a copy of gudance note 3 and i will look through it again. like i said i'm not in the trade and so i haven't picked up the gn3 since i passed 2391 6 months ago.i'll have another flick through it. but what makes you a competant person???? it's a very grey area.

no doc hudson i have not read approved doc p. but i have a copy of gudance note 3 and i will look through it again. like i said i'm not in the trade and so i haven't picked up the gn3 since i passed 2391 6 months ago.i'll have another flick through it. but what makes you a competant person???? it's a very grey area.
Competence was discussed in this thread, there are some very good posts and I don't think it is as grey an area as some think it is:

http://www.talk.electricianforum.co.uk/general-chat-area/15923-what-makes-you-competant.html

A copy of approved document P can be obtained from various websites including our downloads area. The actual regulations part of the document is not very many pages. I think you will find it answers some of your questions if you have a quick look.

Part P - Electrical Safety - Downloads - Talk.electricianforum.co.uk... a forum with a difference.

Doc H.

A general description of competence as understood by HSE (who would probably be the prosecutor) is given in various HSE guides to legislation, & ACoP's, though IIRC there is no one single definite definition.