Just Did The Worst Work In My Career...

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

the doctor

Part P Doctor ™
Reaction score
I am not sure I should even divulge this one.   I am sure we all do stuff in life that we would not brag about.  On the 2nd of September I celebrated 33 years as an electrician...

Now you have to take this in the context that installations in Northern Ireland are generally sh1te and I was put under duress over the situation.

Do I spill the beans or not.  And if I did, would I be condemned or commended for the unorthodox design?

OK I will set the scene.

Typical NI half million pound detached house with remote garage/ shed that is bigger than thew average UK house.  The mains is in the garage with the house subbed off it.  This customer works for one of the electricity utility outfits here and is having a ground mount PV install.  I turn up yesterday morning. He has erected his own  PV frame  out of telegraph  poles and welded angle iron.  He is also going to run the cable  down the field perhaps 60m from the shed. 

So upon turning up, he comes to greet us and I say hello .  As I take out the tools, I ask him what is the system.  He says it is PME and I answer fair enough.  I then see the cable lying on the back street and then running in gully ducts and away down the field. I walk in the garage and look at the cable asking what size it is.  He says it is plenty big enough at 35mm2.  You cannot use this!, I said.  Why not says the customer.  It is CONSAC I said.  My boss says what is CONSAC?

For those who do not know CONSAC stands for 'concentric solid aluminium conductor'  You have a brown covered 35 mm up the middle with lots of bare copper wires around it and a final covering of PVC.  The cable is used for TN C S supplies. The line is in the middle with a PEN or combined neutral earth round the outside.

We then entered a three way debate about electrical installation where the customer is telling me I am talking out of 'my hole' and the boss is explaining that we have commercial pressures upon us.  I explained all the reasons why I should not be doing it but eventually succumbed to the duress. 

It is late now and it is time to rest.  I will give you the next instalment of this torrid story tomorrow...where the doctor pushes design/ departure/ deviation to the limit.

:slap wait til you get to one of my jobs doc,,,,

I suppose if you are working for someone and not signing anything you simply do what you are told.

I remember as an apprentice regularly doing wrap joints in cavities for outside lights. :D

Well at least in Norn Iron you are not troubled by Phart Phee either.

So he wanted you to use some stolen cable from the DNO then.  

We get that up here. I've wired sheds before with some fancy arctic oil / chemical resistant fancy flex that belongs on an oil rig. I never ask how it got there.

So What did you do doctor?  Use it as a 2 core with a separate earth?

Incidentally I am considering using some concentric myself. I will be running my house supply as a sub main in SWA. But I'm considering dropping a spare length of concentric in just in case we opt for economy 7 later, treating it as a 1 core SWA in that eventuality.  (yes I know the armour will not be "correct")

Last edited by a moderator:
My Dad works in telly when one of the programmes he was working on was decommissioned he acquired 100m of 6mm h07 with all manner of plug s and connectors he wanted to use it to wire his shed but I told him it would be better to use the SWA buried in the lawn! :)

http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm?itemId=111305367124

NOT TWIN AND EARTH! :slap

Oh and Dave you don't have to use E7 just for smelly storage heaters...

Cheap Backup Power: http://youtu.be/ka0MfipmdBw

Last edited by a moderator:
I am not sure I should even divulge this one.   I am sure we all do stuff in life that we would not brag about.  On the 2nd of September I celebrated 33 years as an electrician...

Now you have to take this in the context that installations in Northern Ireland are generally sh1te and I was put under duress over the situation.

Do I spill the beans or not.  And if I did, would I be condemned or commended for the unorthodox design?
The man is a mere child ,  you havn't completed your apprenticship yet Doc :innocent     You're one step above chief tea maker man
default_tongue%20in%20cheek.png

Ok, good evening ladies and gents.  Today I climbed this place  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cuilcagh   It is pronounced ' Kull Ka' and I thought I should climb it today after watching The Shawshank redemption last night.  

Anyway after refusing to do this work , and then agreeing to do it under duress I then informed the customer it must go in a duct, all the way.   He asked why as it never goes in a duct in the pavement.  I explained that the regulations he works to (DNO) and the regulations I work to ( BS7671) are different and that in my world it is armoured or ducted and it must be done even though the job was pants anyway.  I then specified a 30mA RCD at the origin, even though it was on a TN C S supply and asked for an earth rod to connect the earth terminal of the inverter to this to be installed rod. When he bailed out to get the duct my boss asked why i was so up tight about it.  As a teacher and not having my books close to hand I quoted and am sure this is not exhaustive, so please feel free to add to it to make me feel even better.....

Regulation 8 EAWR 1989 (system must have earth)

Chapter 52 ( don't mix dissimilar metals that cause corrosion) Some of you may know brass and aluminium is the worst of the worst.

Chapter 41 (cpc shall be run to all points in wiring)

Chapter 54 (mother earth is not listed as a type of cpc)

Appendix 1 and chapter 61 ( all materials shall be approved with correct marking)

I did not speak to anyone all day, just getting it done and counting down the minutes to going home.  I wired the mains end with mcb, rcd, isolator and generation meter.  No probs there.  I had to fit an adaptable box under the unit with henley blocks to drop the circuit from 35 mm to 2.5mm  :B-

The lads had an extension lead down the bottom end fitting the panels so I headed down to find the customer running in my cable and just popped a rod in. I decided to take a loop reading using the extension lead down there. As I got the meter ready, i was bombed with one of those game changing statements as the customers says " So you are looking for less than 0.35 then"  I felt like Eddie Murphy  in trading places https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=emvySA1-3t8

Nope, says me, it should be less than 200 ohms.  When it did the beep beep thing it came back reading 1200 ohms.  You will have to do better than that I remarked. No probs he says and drives his jeep away to get bare earth wire and more rods.

I headed back to the house to fit his new solar immersion do dah.  To explain....  you only get 5.5p per unit of energy exported so it is better to use it if you can as the cost to buy energy is around 17p.  They make gizmos now that fit on your immersion heater that have a small CT fitted around the meter tail at the mains.  This CT watches what you are making and using. As a last resort it will turn on the immersion heater to divert spare energy to the heater rather than let it go.

I had already explained to the customer that the sub main from the garage to the house was connected straight into henley blocks with no protection so a short on that cable may result in fire or damage to the cable.  He shrugged his shoulders.  BTW it was some sort of heat shrank four core utility cable... Anyways, I fitted the unit and did a quick loop impedance test on it. Beep beep 80 ohms.  I went to see the customer and explained that his install was in fact a TT with a non metallic earth, with a sub main with no protection , feeding a split load board with half of it with no earth fault protection.  So, what is the big deal he said... I explained of the serious risk of shock/ electrocution risk and that his solar immersion would have to be removed.  I added that a switch fuse on the garage end of the sub with a 100mA rcd would fix all.  He said I was talking bo11ocks and that the install was a PME.  We went to the outdoor cubicle.  He said " There, there is the earth wire going into the side of the cut out."  I retorted that this earth wire then disappeared down the wall to a possible rod outside, not going near the mains. BTW the earthing conductor from the mains came through the cabinet and disappeared out the bottom with this 'PME' wire he was going on about.   I think he installed this PME wire to be honest.

He said, "no probs I will PME it then". I said you cannot do that as it is a network decision.  I went on to explain that a broken PEN or combined earth neutral on his supply could result in someone he cared for dying around his house.  He shrugged his shoulders and told me to go for dinner.

When I came back the loop was 0.42 ohms.  I now have shooting pains behind my eyes....  I went down the field and wired the inverter through another isolator and checked the new earth arrangements with two rods and a partially buried earth wire.  It was 235 ohms.  Near enough for me so time for the big switch on.  

I walked up to the customer and explained the situation by saying " I explained today that this job is w4nk and that after 33 years I just dropped the book in the bin.  As well as that I blatantly broke the law.  But, I said I was not going down for it as my defence was that I repeatedly said it was bad and that I would not switch it on.  I said that the privilege belonged to the customer.  He shrugged his shoulders and walked off to the garage.  A moment later the inverter sprang into life.

I went home to tell my loved ones about my day, the worst day ever.  The best therapy is to just say it so I did.  The job was left 'safe' but 'wrong' well wrong ....

THU I've had a customer ask me to wire up a sub to his newly built garage with some straight con Al/CU he got from a DNO guy who changed his overhead supply to underground..... Bed already run it in :eek:

I refused and walked... But then again I'm self employed so I do have that luxury

Ok, good evening ladies and gents.  Today I climbed this place  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cuilcagh   It is pronounced ' Kull Ka' and I thought I should climb it today after watching The Shawshank redemption last night.  

Anyway after refusing to do this work , and then agreeing to do it under duress I then informed the customer it must go in a duct, all the way.   He asked why as it never goes in a duct in the pavement.  I explained that the regulations he works to (DNO) and the regulations I work to ( BS7671) are different and that in my world it is armoured or ducted and it must be done even though the job was pants anyway.  I then specified a 30mA RCD at the origin, even though it was on a TN C S supply and asked for an earth rod to connect the earth terminal of the inverter to this to be installed rod. When he bailed out to get the duct my boss asked why i was so up tight about it.  As a teacher and not having my books close to hand I quoted and am sure this is not exhaustive, so please feel free to add to it to make me feel even better.....

Regulation 8 EAWR 1989 (system must have earth)

Chapter 52 ( don't mix dissimilar metals that cause corrosion) Some of you may know brass and aluminium is the worst of the worst.

Chapter 41 (cpc shall be run to all points in wiring)

Chapter 54 (mother earth is not listed as a type of cpc)

Appendix 1 and chapter 61 ( all materials shall be approved with correct marking)

I did not speak to anyone all day, just getting it done and counting down the minutes to going home.  I wired the mains end with mcb, rcd, isolator and generation meter.  No probs there.  I had to fit an adaptable box under the unit with henley blocks to drop the circuit from 35 mm to 2.5mm  :B-

The lads had an extension lead down the bottom end fitting the panels so I headed down to find the customer running in my cable and just popped a rod in. I decided to take a loop reading using the extension lead down there. As I got the meter ready, i was bombed with one of those game changing statements as the customers says " So you are looking for less than 0.35 then"  I felt like Eddie Murphy  in trading places https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=emvySA1-3t8

Nope, says me, it should be less than 200 ohms.  When it did the beep beep thing it came back reading 1200 ohms.  You will have to do better than that I remarked. No probs he says and drives his jeep away to get bare earth wire and more rods.

I headed back to the house to fit his new solar immersion do dah.  To explain....  you only get 5.5p per unit of energy exported so it is better to use it if you can as the cost to buy energy is around 17p.  They make gizmos now that fit on your immersion heater that have a small CT fitted around the meter tail at the mains.  This CT watches what you are making and using. As a last resort it will turn on the immersion heater to divert spare energy to the heater rather than let it go.

I had already explained to the customer that the sub main from the garage to the house was connected straight into henley blocks with no protection so a short on that cable may result in fire or damage to the cable.  He shrugged his shoulders.  BTW it was some sort of heat shrank four core utility cable... Anyways, I fitted the unit and did a quick loop impedance test on it. Beep beep 80 ohms.  I went to see the customer and explained that his install was in fact a TT with a non metallic earth, with a sub main with no protection , feeding a split load board with half of it with no earth fault protection.  So, what is the big deal he said... I explained of the serious risk of shock/ electrocution risk and that his solar immersion would have to be removed.  I added that a switch fuse on the garage end of the sub with a 100mA rcd would fix all.  He said I was talking bo11ocks and that the install was a PME.  We went to the outdoor cubicle.  He said " There, there is the earth wire going into the side of the cut out."  I retorted that this earth wire then disappeared down the wall to a possible rod outside, not going near the mains. BTW the earthing conductor from the mains came through the cabinet and disappeared out the bottom with this 'PME' wire he was going on about.   I think he installed this PME wire to be honest.

He said, "no probs I will PME it then". I said you cannot do that as it is a network decision.  I went on to explain that a broken PEN or combined earth neutral on his supply could result in someone he cared for dying around his house.  He shrugged his shoulders and told me to go for dinner.

When I came back the loop was 0.42 ohms.  I now have shooting pains behind my eyes....  I went down the field and wired the inverter through another isolator and checked the new earth arrangements with two rods and a partially buried earth wire.  It was 235 ohms.  Near enough for me so time for the big switch on.  

I walked up to the customer and explained the situation by saying " I explained today that this job is w4nk and that after 33 years I just dropped the book in the bin.  As well as that I blatantly broke the law.  But, I said I was not going down for it as my defence was that I repeatedly said it was bad and that I would not switch it on.  I said that the privilege belonged to the customer.  He shrugged his shoulders and walked off to the garage.  A moment later the inverter sprang into life.

I went home to tell my loved ones about my day, the worst day ever.  The best therapy is to just say it so I did.  The job was left 'safe' but 'wrong' well wrong ....
I hear loads of people quote this,

where is it from?

Enjoyable reading doc! sorry it was such an arse ache getting there:) did this guy work for a dno you said? And he doesn't know the difference between PME and TT yet he can afford a nice big house... Must be one those who are promoted quickly and now works in some obscure dept?

:)

I spent years pontificating about installation standards.  Northern Ireland is dire but the republic is worse still.  Technically though I am banned from the south as there is a licence system there and working is a criminal offence.

The main crimes are( in no particular order)

sub mains with no fusing 

no rcd protection on TT circuits

sheds and barns tacked onto endless sheds and barns

live exposed parts 

VOELCBs everywhere that dont trip as the coil is bypassed somehow....

TT installs with no visible rods.

and so it goes on and on...

THU I've had a customer ask me to wire up a sub to his newly built garage with some straight con Al/CU he got from a DNO guy who changed his overhead supply to underground..... Bed already run it in :eek:

I refused and walked... But then again I'm self employed so I do have that luxury
Well done.... a man of principle...I bet someone did it though

Enjoyable reading doc! sorry it was such an arse ache getting there:) did this guy work for a dno you said? And he doesn't know the difference between PME and TT yet he can afford a nice big house... Must be one those who are promoted quickly and now works in some obscure dept?

:)
Yep DNO worker so has lots of rods and CONSAC to hand.  And yes, a big beautiful house. And shrugged his shoulders when the death and destruction of it all was explained to him

Hi There,

"

sub mains with no fusing 

live exposed parts 

and so it goes on and on.."

Yep, we have that here too, every farm i have ever seen is much like that....

The thing i see a lot of, and it makes me laugh, oh how it makes me laugh, is private houses [and farms] that put up a new shed. They will come along to me and say "what sort of cable do I want"

I will work out a reasonable size, and then,they will either ignore me, or a few days later they will say that; "My friend is an electrician and he says...."

Ok, get on with it..... Some time later, the "electrician" will connect their new building with 2.5 twin and earth, [regardless of the fact it might be 70 yards away] stuck in some tube they got from somewhere. Next thing they will be all happy and gleefully tell me; "see, i told you they were a proper electrician" and words to the effect of I do not know what i am talking about.....

Sure as i am writing this, within about 12 months they all want to put air compressors and welders in their shed, how i laugh when they will not work. They come and ask me, and i have to break the sad news to them!!!! Looked at one last week, max current they can draw off without excessive volt drop is about 6 amps...!!!! ha ha ha ha.

Best get your "electrician" to install you a proper submain next time............... ha ha ha

john...

It is usually people with Loadsamoney who we've had demanding electrics to their own design and ideas .  

We used to do electrics for a bathroom /kitchen firm ....posh woman wanted this brass chandelier over the bath ...within reach of the "bathee"  ... just open BC Lampholders .    

We had been expecting an IP / enclosed  whatever fitting ..... sorry can't fit it ...she phones the Bath company who say we must fit it ..the customer is always right ..... we say no ..... so they got  A.N.Other (Electrical)  to do it   :C          So the customer overrules BS 7671   etc and should she decide to replace a lamp in the chandelier she just needs to sit up straight in the bath to do it .      

I spent years pontificating about installation standards.  Northern Ireland is dire but the republic is worse still.  Technically though I am banned from the south as there is a licence system there and working is a criminal offence.

sub mains with no fusing 

live exposed parts 

and so it goes on and on...

Well done.... a man of principle...I bet someone did it though

Yep DNO worker so has lots of rods and CONSAC to hand.  And yes, a big beautiful house. And shrugged his shoulders when the death and destruction of it all was explained to him
So Irish electrics Eh !      I never said a word :innocent

Latest posts