Laptop Lockout (Password help required)

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It appears that you have to gain access to the internet to get the password recovery programmes. I am unable to access the net. :(

I am on my desktop pc at the moment.

Thank you for the link though.

Can anyone explain where the Back Up battery is please (CMOS)? Is it an easy job to do? Or would I have a lot of stripping out to do?

Why not download the software on the PC you are using now, burn it to a disk and then pop it into your laptop.

Or as you are having this much trouble then I think it would be better if you get a friend who knows about computers or take it into a computer shop.

I found something about the "BIOS backdoor password"

...U see many people forget their passwords so the Bios manufactors made the backdoor pasword.So, if your laptop is Toshiba, the password is Toshiba.

Or is that totally irrelevant?

This sounds like you are getting a BIOS lockout, you aren't getting past the very first screen?

If this is the case, there is very little you can do about it. A lot of Toshiba laptops have a built-in security chip on the motherboard (an EEPROM) and removing the BIOS battery or resetting the BIOS with the CMOS jumper is unlikely to clear the password. There are ways past it, but I suspect the cure will cost you more than the laptop did. :(

A Google search (Toshiba BIOS lockout) from your other machine will point you in the right direction.

Best of luck Pray

Thank You Admin2, but that didn't work.

Thank you too, Springcrocus - I will do a Google search now. :(

Removing the CMOS battery won't work where the Windows logon password is concerned, in fact it won't even stop the system asking you for the BIOS password.

As your problem is a Windows logon issue, go to http://home.eunet.no/pnordahl/ntpasswd/ and follow the instructions for creating a bootable CD to reset the Administrator password.

hi,

Important question.....

Do you want to reinstall windows XP.

OR

Do you want to recover the admin password.

Both are possible just let me know which you want to do?

Hi Richard

Contact me with an e-mail and I'll send you a CD disc that you boot off and will recover/reset.

your windows password.

Cheers

Calltron

And the moral of the story at the end is don't buy any computers from car bootsales without getting all passwords, disks etc

This is a decent link home.eunet.no/pnordahl/ntpasswd/ that will reset youre windows password, all you have to do is download and burn to cd.

And the moral of the story at the end is don't buy any computers from car bootsales without getting all passwords, disks etc
I think he knows that now. :|

This is a decent link home.eunet.no/pnordahl/ntpasswd/ that will reset youre windows password, all you have to do is download and burn to cd.
unless I read wrong, but I am almost certain that OP mentioned that he tried to do a re-install from a windows CD, but it didn't start from disc? :|

try pressing F2 for the boot menu and boot from cd-rom

or go into the BIOS settings and see if it can boot from cd-rom, ie, change boot priority, then try booting from cdrom

You can access the BIOS (on all Toshiba laptops) by keeping the Escape key pressed while the red 'TOSHIBA' comes onto the screen at power-up or re-boot.

Latest posts