Lifespan Of Burglar Alarm?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Owen J

Reaction score
I've recently purchased a Bellway house which is 9 years old and still has the original alarm installed. It appears to be the same as the rest on the estate and they seem to have given the contract to a local reputable company.

However, my girlfriend has won a new alarm in a competition from an alarm company called Safe and secure 24. We can have the alarm or a weekend break somewhere in the UK.

At 9 years old is it going to need replacing any time soon or would we be throwing a good alarm out for the sake of it???

Cheers

Actually there is quite a lot that can (and does) go wrong. (I could write a list but it has a lot of variables) I would say take the break, and NEVER have the alarm, as I will guess it comes with a maintenance contract for x years that means you pay for the alarm and the break.

I forgot to mention, I have seen alarms that are 35+ years old, absolute piles of junk, I have also seen alarms that are also junk that are a few years old. The age only relates to the technology of the alarm, its how the alarm is used / treated / looked after that counts.