Light fitting problem and question..

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rob252

Reaction score
Hi all, wonder if you can help;

We bough 4 fancy light fittings to fit upstairs and down, 2 seperate lights down and up, all with 2 seperate switches that switch on and off at opposite ends of floor.. (Hope that makes sense)

so so I unscrew the stand at White ceiling rose to be presented with the tray of wires. It would have all been simple if all I had to do was fit the bracket under that tray, connect the new fittings brown, blue and green to the relevant connections and hey presto, done!

however, the new fittings dome housing has wires in and so won't fit over the wire tray on the ceiling.

so what would an electrician do in this scenario?

ideally I need to get the tray of wires and connectors into the ceiling, but the trays to big.. Can you get a seperate strip connector or similar? Because there's 4 sets of wires coming from the ceiling, there's too many to squeeze into the provided single connector thing.

How do I resolve this ? Any advice would be great!! 

Pad%20saw.jpg
images

Last edited by a moderator:
Blue Duck is saying to use wago connectors and a wago box click here  Then push the box into the ceiling. You may find it easier to connect a short piece of flex to the wago connectors and connect the light to this.

Tip: Label the cables and take pictures before you do anything else.

Great advice guys. As a complete novice, this may be beyond me 😕

How owe much would /should an electrician charge to do the job?

cheers

There is more than one way to skin a cat...

Ashley/hager j501

HAG_j501.jpg

It all depends what's above the ceiling, hopefully a nice empty void but sometimes there could be pipes,  joists, the old ceiling, I even found a rat skeleton once.

So check that out first as one of these or the wago jb may not fit.

Its not really that difficult just take your time, take photos (like RT9 says ;)  ) I always mark the SL first.

And don't forget to TURN THE POWER OFF!!!

An Electrician would probably charge around £50 for this and should take no longer than an hour.

Great advice guys. As a complete novice, this may be beyond me 😕

How owe much would /should an electrician charge to do the job?

cheers

What part of the country are you in? at a guess somewhere between £10 to £20 per fitting, dependent upon location access, travel time, parking etc.. That would assume the ceilings are all structurally strong enough to support the new lights, e.g. may need a fixing into joist, where as not all fittings are previously secured into suitable joist. 

Doc H.