Lighting circuit conundrum

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

davebradley

Reaction score
Yesterday one (1 of 3) of my wall lights blew with a larger pop than your would normally expect. Upon replacing the wall light I checked the continuity on the live(red), neutral (black) and earth cables. There was continuity between N & E and a low resistance between N & L. The 3 wall lights all work off one light switch, and upon checking the other two they worked fine. My question is two-fold: why is there continuity between N & E and secondly, was the loud pop a symptom of another larger problem? Re-wiring is a difficult task as the floor above has laminate flooring.

Neutral and earth are connected at your supply transformer so that may be why your getting continuity s. also cont between live and neutral will be reading through one or both of the other lamps :) welcome to the forum btw

your large pop could be the cheap lamp

was it a ses candle lamp ???? they pop

"upon checking the other 2 they worked fine"

So I am left wondering, does the light that went "pop" work now (with a new bulb) or is it still not working?

Before I say any more, do all 3 work now? or is one still dead?

Re the short life of bulbs My theory is since the voltage is now harmonised, bulbs are now designed for 230V, which is a shame, as my mains supply still seems to be 250V most of the time.

Hadn't thought of other two bulbs completing circuit. Will test with out bulbs in. And yes, probably was a cheap bulb. Haven't put new lamp on yet either. Will do tomorrow. Thanks for all your help guys. Well worth posting problems!