live line

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm, still trying to figure out the one I got! Didn't get an instruction manual with it!

For just a 'listen test' all you need is a high impedance earpiece. So just get hold of an old phone handset with the cord and croc-clip the wires for the earpiece. It'll do what you need it to do for minimal outlay.

I think SL will know more about this than I do. He's usually up at silly times in the morning like me! :^O

You could do an 'advanced search' on e-bay for completed listings to find out how much butt phones are going for. :)

thanks Mr S,

bed for me i think.

I'll have a better look tomoz.

I may as well buy something decent(ish), I can hopefully get work to sub part of it. ; \

maybe even get me a better tone tracer while Im at it,! :)

Yes, bedtime for me as well. Good night Steps.

I'll keep this thread updated on butt phone stuff as I suss it. :)

I'm, still trying to figure out the one I got! Didn't get an instruction manual with it!For just a 'listen test' all you need is a high impedance earpiece. So just get hold of an old phone handset with the cord and croc-clip the wires for the earpiece. It'll do what you need it to do for minimal outlay.

I think SL will know more about this than I do. He's usually up at silly times in the morning like me! :^O

You could do an 'advanced search' on e-bay for completed listings to find out how much butt phones are going for. :)
Hello Mr S...

I can show you my butt (he he he ,,, as it is after the watershed:^ O)

and tell you what all my buttons do...

It may help you suss out some of the bits on your butt...

Heres a picture of my Butt!

http://i291.photobucket.com/albums/ll306/SPECIALLOCATION/PHONETESTBUTT.jpg

Close up of front.

http://i291.photobucket.com/albums/ll306/SPECIALLOCATION/FRONTBUTT.jpg

Close up of back.

http://i291.photobucket.com/albums/ll306/SPECIALLOCATION/BACKBUTT.jpg

My test butt must be at least 25+ years old?? maybe more??

It has a standard LJU jack on the end of the lead.

and a short adaptor lead with croc clips

a quick run down of the keys and features..

Front

standard dialling digits 1..0 # and *

POL: indicates line polarity, green LED ok, red LED reversed.

FL: timed 100ms switch hook flash.

LR: last number redial.

S: disconnects microphone.

R: Earth recall

DIS: Disconnect one leg of phone from line

Three LEDS,

Red & Green polarity

& ringing indicator LED.

Back

rotary selector with three positions:

off hook

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/TEMPO-CHESILVALE-ALERT-340-BUTT-IN-TELEPHONE-TEST-SET_W0QQitemZ170210840503QQihZ007QQcategoryZ40004QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItemany idea about this?

I reckon work will stump up for it.

if i stick this on and get no dial tone the line is physically dead, if i get a dial tone but no connection then the line is software barred?

is this correct?

how do i know its not data?

although TBH most of the data is dedicated cat5

thanks guys
I reckon that would do the job!

you are right about dial tone / no dial tone

Data sounds like a high pitched whistle if you tap across a phone line.

The spec mentions 'monitor' which is basically just sticking an earpiece across the line without creating a loop to initiat dial tone.

in monitor mode you can hear the data.

The basic phone line is 50v dc

when you have data running down it you can see 100v ac

(-50 , 0v, +50) total pd 100v ac.

On your bog-standard home broadband with them plug in fiter things..

the data is shifted onto higher frequences and those filters stop them interfering with the phone or vice versa.

Historically old phones took the basic voice frequency range to alter the resitance of carbon granules within the handset microphone.. to create a signal..

your basic voice signal from the home phone still uses this freq range (300hz -3400hz if I remember right)

but as there is enough high frequency capacity left in the phone wires your data can be shifted and filted for transmission simultaniously with the voice signals.

If you have a broadband connection at home you should be able to hear this if you plug in to a socket with no filter in line and listen in monitor mode!

the kit seems to include bog standay LJU jack plug AND clips..

which you would need if you are trying to tap into a line at a junction box before it reaches the terminating LJU.

cant think of anythink else

so il stop now.

Best of luck persauding work to pay for your butt:D

ur a star SL.

so when i **** this job up and cut out all the good phone lines I'll just say you said it was fine! :D

Ive pulled the firm out of the * a good few times past month so they owe me a few perks! (tho they are paying my IPAF for this job) :)

thanks a lot for all your advice guys, going to meet the bossman at the factory tomoz to do a risk assesment for this mission,

so I'll let yas know how i get on once i start ripping it all apart. B)

so when i **** this job up and cut out all the good phone lines I'll just say you said it was fine! :D
I will deny I have ever heard of you!!!!! :^O :^O:^O:^O

and anyway I am only a mere painter...

dow now nuffin bout lectric 'n' fones!! :|

Bur I cum an put a bit o' gloss on your skirtin!B)

Cheers Steps! :x And 'big-up's' to SL for the Butt info (Huuuurrrrrr............... Huurrrrrrrrrr........... He said 'butt info').

Much appreciated.