Loft Conversion, Downlighters and Fire Rating.

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

welshwizard

Honorary Life Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

My Brother-in-law (wife's side). Has just had is loft converted into abedroom, for his eldest Son.

Has put 5 x 240 V downlighters into the ceiling.

He doesn't know if they are fire rated.

I know that firw rated or fire rated hoods are required if there is living space above.

But how is it when it comes to Loft Conversions? There is only 75 mm clearance - tops - between the plasterboard and the felt and slates/tiles - Surely?

Thanks in advance,

Welshy.

fire hoods not needed, as you say, no living space above.

saying that, i would always fit fire rated hoods or fittings, stop a small flame spreading into a massive one that stays hidden in your void until its too late.

if a downlight will fit, then a fire rated downlight will fit too.

is a nice light worth more than burning down the whole house and everything else in it?!?!

nice thought if your kids are asleep.....

ps, if you use fire rated downlights you need to be careful to use the correct type of replacement lamps, whether the heat rating matches or not,(usually alu reflectors), most people dont realise this, thus nulling the fire rating.

If your sticking to the rules, then flush downlights normally can not be fitted in this situation because of the heat loss (Part L)

I would also be worried about the heat on the insulation ( once again, if correctly done this should be a solid board insulation, not rockwall)