Loop In Wiring Help

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tpurce

Reaction score
This install is in a garage. There is already a flourescent light in the garage that works off from a single switch. I have boarded out the loft bit of the garage so I decided to run a couple of lights up. I wan them isolated where if I enter the garage and want to use teh flourescent light downstairs only that light comes on but if I want to go upstairs then I have to switch the second switch which controls the upstairs lights.

This is what I did....

I cut the main cable to the flourescent light and installed a splitter, connecting the cable to the flourescent light and then another cable to the first of the 2 lights (The lights are rose type lights with 6 connectors), I then run another cable from that first light to a single switch with COM & L1 - I think). I then run another cable out of the first light to the second and final light. I followed the cable connectivity as per the diagrams in the URLs below. What I cannot seem to find is how to connect the final light (also with 6 connectors in the fitting) so that when I switch on the upstairs switch it (not the main garage switch to the flourescent light) turns both of the upstairs lights on. A couple of combinations I have tried has either turned the final light on from the switch downstairs that turns the flourescent light on or the final light just does not turn on with either switch. Both of these combinations tried always turn the first light on as it should be when switching the upstairs switch on.

Your help will be greatly appreciated.

Ultimate Handyman: ceiling rose wiring

Looped Ceiling Rose

so the first light upstairs works OK as it should? all you need now is a single T&E between the first and second light, with connections to switched live, neutral & earth

When you wire anything in "loop" from an electrical point of view there is one live connection with a switched live, this connection is then duplicated without any permanent live required from the wiring system. This is where the problem arises with rose outlets, often the "perm live" connections are marked " loop" the indication for this is that a continuous loop in and out would be connected to these terminals giving a permanent live throughout the wiring circuit. However if you have looped out the lighting circuit so that multiple lights come on with one live and switch, the connections to the inner loop at the ceiling rose will not be connected to the lamps.

Now I am confused

Admin,

I tried connecting up as per your diagram (1 Way Light circuit) but the only question I have is with regards to the final rose in the loop, the diagram does not tell me how to cable it so what I did was connect the live cable from the first rose to be in the same block or connectors as the live cable & neutral cables from the "Lamp" . Unfortunately, and as per previous attempts, the second light is not being controllled by the upstairs switch but by the downstairs switch.

I have superimposed as best I could, my current setup and I hope you can shed some light for me.

***Unfortunately due to space limitation I cannot upload the file. Do you have an e-mail address I can send it to?

you should have it like this (change in red)

connectivity.jpg