losing faith in my test meter??

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jay_t

Reaction score
I have a Di-log 9083p and it's giving some quite sporadic readings with Zs tests. I do maintenance within a school so i am based in the same building, each time i carry out a modification i do a Ze at the main incomer and it does vary a bit but i was changing a board last week and, just out of curiosity, i did 5 Ze tests within a few minutes and got varying results from 0.11 up to about 0.3.

Is this normal? I don't have a vast amount of field experience so i don't know, maybe it is?

My meter was calibrated 6 months ago and I have one of those credit card size calibration checkers and the meter checks out fine on that.

some variance is not unusual but should be less than what you are seeing. When testing I always null leads first to ensure leads are OK, but the other trick is to ensure good connections, especially if using a croc clip, which comes with practice. The other posibility is that your batteries are getting low, or test gear is getting warm from repeat testing - I've had that problem before where a circuit I was testing was giving higher and higher Zs reading, but I had been testing circuits for about an hour.

Ze is one of the few readings that will change from time of day, so I would not place too much worry over them.

Remember to get an accurate reading all connections must be tight, and all parralell paths removed.

Weather conditions will also effect reading slightly - the wetter the ground, the lower the readings may be. although i wouldnt expect it to vary by the amount your getting

I had a 9083p which always gave different readings each time you tested in the end it had to go back to di-log as I was getting readings of .3ohm on a TT system and meter was faulty. I now have a fluke 1652 which gives constant readings the same each time you test.

Batty

I had a 9083p which always gave different readings each time you tested in the end it had to go back to di-log as I was getting readings of .3ohm on a TT system and meter was faulty. I now have a fluke 1652 which gives constant readings the same each time you test.Batty
obviously a different fluke to what ive used in the past... i was normally lucky to get a similar reading twice!

Most of my testers in the past have been megger, so a few years back I bought the then new fluke 1652, good tester but I think I prefer the megger tbh