Made in Britain

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PC Electrics

Reaction score
Following on from recent discussion about where stuff is made, I thought I would start a thread where we could all trumpet those electrical products that are Made in Britain, or at least have a substantial British manufacturing content.

Whenever possible I like to buy MiB, but find it difficult to know what is and what is not.

So, if you are certain that a product or range is Made in Britain, announce it here.

Maybe as a result we could all choose to Buy British more often.

I'll start:

Cables: Prysmian, Doncaster, CCC, Draka

CUs: MEM Memera 2000AD boards and devices (made in MEMs factory in Holyhead, N Wales)

MK boards are assembled here, but not sure about some of the sub components.

Hager also assemble their domestic boards in Telford - I know the devices are made in France and Germany, but don't know about the moldings.

Sockets etc: Contactum, MK

other stuff:

Numatic vacuums (Henry)

ASD Lighting

Horstmann Controls

Manrose fans

Swifts cable management solutions (from Legrand)

MK claim that 74% of their accessories overall are MiB.

Aico smoke alarms (part of Ei Electronics) are 100% Irish (near Shannon Airport) - technically not British, but close enough for jazz.

(I dealt with Ei when I was part of the R&D team for New Range Rover (P38A), they did the electronics for the security system. Very "on the ball" people.)

Following on from recent discussion about where stuff is made, I thought I would start a thread where we could all trumpet those electrical products that are Made in Britain, or at least have a substantial British manufacturing content.Whenever possible I like to buy MiB, but find it difficult to know what is and what is not.

So, if you are certain that a product or range is Made in Britain, announce it here.

Maybe as a result we could all choose to Buy British more often.

I'll start:

Cables: Prysmian, Doncaster, CCC, Draka

CUs: MEM Memera 2000AD boards and devices (made in MEMs factory in Holyhead, N Wales)

MK boards are assembled here, but not sure about some of the sub components.

Hager also assemble their domestic boards in Telford - I know the devices are made in France and Germany, but don't know about the moldings.

Sockets etc: Contactum, MK

other stuff:

Numatic vacuums (Henry)

ASD Lighting

Horstmann Controls

Manrose fans

Swifts cable management solutions (from Legrand)

MK claim that 74% of their accessories overall are MiB.

Aico smoke alarms (part of Ei Electronics) are 100% Irish (near Shannon Airport) - technically not British, but close enough for jazz.

(I dealt with Ei when I was part of the R&D team for New Range Rover (P38A), they did the electronics for the security system. Very "on the ball" people.)
Sorry to burst the bubble but MEM closed last year - In Holyhead anyway

I think contactum stuff is made abroad, Mk accessories are still made in this country but switchegear like Mcb's Rcd's are made in China now.

Kopex, Adaptaflex & Flexicon conduit all made here.

I think contactum stuff is made abroad, Mk accessories are still made in this country but switchegear like Mcb's Rcd's are made in China now.
Last couple of years the couple of MK RCDs I have seen have had a big "Made in Germany" sticker on the side.

But yes as you say, definitely not made in Britain!

:(

Good thread by the way, an excellent idea.

For those of a plumbing persuasion, Yorkshire Copper Tube are still exactly where they have always been.

And they still make the best pipes available, in most people's opinion.

For those of a plumbing persuasion, Yorkshire Copper Tube are still exactly where they have always been. And they still make the best pipes available, in most people's opinion.
brings a tear t'me eye, lad.

:D

Not sure if these count but as the reps keep telling us at college dialog (diabolical) & megger are made in the uk or at least assembled here! Also a little used brand of accessories (micromark), are made just down the road from me in Tottenham!

Yes, I forgot about Megger. All designed and built down on the South coast, though I have no doubt some of the electronics and sub assemblies will come from elsewhere.

Contactum advertise themselves with a Union Flag and the MiB logo.

Crompton lights are also made here (the last florries of theirs I got from Edmundsons certainly said "MiB" on them).

I'm pretty sure Thorn still make a decent proportion of their lighting here too.

Not sure if these count but as the reps keep telling us at college dialog (diabolical) & megger are made in the uk or at least assembled here! Also a little used brand of accessories (micromark), are made just down the road from me in Tottenham!
Micromark is an a far east import sourced from this company, but let's not go there as they were owned by the unmentionable.

Unfortunately a lot of so called British made products are only assembled here from overseas sources. Supalux is a good example as they import the bodies & fit the control gear in this country.

I am sure there other examples, so be careful when you talk about British made products.

Are we going to list hand tools as well? There are a lot of licorice screwdrivers with red gobstopper handles about! (ooh its covered in plastic, it must be for electricians)

the debate about wether stuff is made or assembled here will rage forever with opinions

my opinion :pray :pray is that i'd support it if it is assembled here

as i think thats what this thread is about

we could have a poll on the subject ?

the debate about wether stuff is made or assembled here will rage forever with opinionsmy opinion :pray :pray is that i'd support it if it is assembled here

as i think thats what this thread is about

we could have a poll on the subject ?
Well assembled here is better than nothing as assembly still gives Britians jobs.

Maybe we need three categories

100% British

A significant proportion (>75%) British made

Assembled in Britain

All are better than imported Chinese tat.

Unfortunately a lot of so called British made products are only assembled here from overseas sources. Supalux is a good example as they import the bodies & fit the control gear in this country.

This is true of most manufactured products, R&D, marketing and HQ still here but little else - It's what happened to my previous career in which I designed production lline equipment / production lines etc etc