Magic Gel Or Wiska Gel

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Well I've used bucket loads of Magic Gel, but today we used Wiska Gel.

Has anyone else used the Wiska Gel.

My thoughts, the Magic Gel in this weather almost cures before you can get it out of the mixing pot, and when cured is fairly thick and spongy.

Part A is Blue and Part B is clear.

The Wiska Gel says 8 minutes in the pot time and 20 minutes to cure, when cured it still seems unset unlike the magic Gel which sets much firmer.

Part A is Clear and Part B is clear.

Currently paying £31 + Vat for Magic Gel 1L, and £26 + Vat for Wiska Gel 1L,, so Wiska Gel is a fair bit cheaper, is it a case of you get what you pay for,

After today not sure I like the Wiska Gel.

2013-07-18 15.26.23.jpg

I used some "Termination technology" CQB1's (quick gel underground joints) the other day..... Stickier than a sticky thing being extra sticky...

They say that they are re-enterable,,, ffs open them up and they're just an absolute sticky mess

I'm sure this stuff is overpriced as its being sold to us. Any instrumentation engineers on here? 

Im sure they use something similar that is cheaper, I worked in one once and they were talking about throwing all sorts of electrical items in drums of liquid stuff that allowed it to carry on working. They had drums of it laying around. 

I wonder if it is a similar stuff, or if they were just pulling my leg! 

potting compound, though that normally sets hard. Reminds me of those kids toys you throw at a wall and watch it roll down, then realise its left an immovable stain on your decor..

I've only used magic gel & recently the newer magic power gel. The new stuff is advertised as being able to mix up off site & then when on site you can stuff in to an enclosure making it water resiliant........not as easy as you might think in the real world when  there are more than one conductor in the enclosure, you still end up with some gaps & it is a sticky bit of work!

It's pricey to say the least so much so that the school job where they were having issues of water ingress into conduit enclosures, they decided to go for change of enclosures (wiska box) & use of nylon glanding for the flex loop out to lighting, worked out cheaper than buying Power Gel to fill 52 conduit boxes; due to the large discount given on the wiska boxes & glands & next to no movement on the Magic power Gel price.

Magic gel is still waterproof even though it is not completely set, I had to do a load of joints on bollards that had no access panels on them I filled wiska boxes with gel back in December and no trouble as it was too cold to get it to set at the time -2 so had to take a chance

Latest posts