Main Protective Bonding required?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

whazza22

Reaction score
Hi all,

If the main incoming water main is copper but straight from the stopcock is plastic (with copper parts), then does it require a 10mm bond to consumer unit?

Normally you would bond within 600mm of the consumers side but the consumers side is plastic. However the incoming copper is physically in the property.

If required, would you bond before the stopcock or the first bit of copper after the plastic?

Thanks

I like the Collins version ..........."Irrelevant"  .

Whazza  the Regs does it's usual dancing around the subject and ...as far as I could ever see.....doesn't address the case of a metalic pipe entering the building , then changing to plastic .

There is no point to bonding plastic pipes , for obvious reasons and as we are instructed to bond AFTER the stop cock , I presume that the incoming metalic water pipe is irrelevant  , especially if it is a short piece of tube, insulated in blue.

Personally I found the lack of guidance following the  advent of plastic  push-on plumbing fittings to be a disgrace .   We ,as a trade, had spent years since the introduction of main bonding running  bonding cables to incoming water services , and woe betide us if it was missed out ..............then , out of the blue ,  plastic plumbing  fittings appear , renedering our efforts virtually useless .

My first encounter was fishing our 10mm bonding cable out of the floor ...fixing the earth clip just above the stop cock...then the plumber chopped the pipe off just above and fitted a plastic tee .   All my efforts just to bond 2m of copper pipe ,  the pipework in the house was bonded for about 10 mins.   

Doubtless there will be other opinions

I presume that the incoming metalic water pipe is irrelevant

erm...  complete opposite. if it comes in metallic, then its almost guaranteed to be extraneous and will need bonded, and may need to be done before the stopcock...  plastic pipework / fittings inside is mostly irrelevant though

My first encounter was fishing our 10mm bonding cable out of the floor ...fixing the earth clip just above the stop cock...then the plumber chopped the pipe off just above and fitted a plastic tee .   All my efforts just to bond 2m of copper pipe ,  the pipework in the house was bonded for about 10 mins.   

not wasted in any way at all

My point was ...as far as I can see........ it is not addressed in the Regs .

Bonding clip ,if possible , within 600 on the consumer side .  Probably me  but not seen any reference to bonding before the stop cock .

If its metal coming in, turning to plastic throughout the installation after the stop tap then the incoming pipe is still extraneous IMHO just the same a a cast iron waste would be.....and requires bonding

it does say after the stopcock, but if it cant be done after because it goes immediately to plastic then you need to do it before on a conductive part

in older houses with cast soil pipes and lead / conductive pipework coming into the house, you should be bonding that too...

I did MV jointing with the old EMEB. Before cutting the cable sheath you fitted bonding jumpers between each side of the joint. One or two jointers found out the hard way the reason for doing it.

Even plumbers should be doing this if they're cutting a copper pipe "just in case" ,,,, however I've never seen one doing it ,,, thinking about it I don't think that any of the plumbers that I know have a set of bonding jumpers 

It would be for bonding, apparently the guys don’t like been blown up. Only the high pressure network used galvanic protection as far as I know. There was a test point at our incoming HP gas let down station, I never got the chance to have a nosey at it.

Even plumbers should be doing this if they're cutting a copper pipe "just in case" ,,,, however I've never seen one doing it ,,, thinking about it I don't think that any of the plumbers that I know have a set of bonding jumpers 
No jump leads in the van then? Same thing different name.. I use one if removing a gas meter (most people use sealing discs in the outlet now), not really thought about using them for water pipes, every day's a school day.