main water bonding

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jam2020

Reaction score
got an elecsa assessment next week,was planning on showing him a new build flat so i know everything was done by me and was up to scratch.unfortunatly due to 3 break ins in 1 week the builder is not going to install the kitchens until new year.this leaves me with an issuse as to the main water bond that was going to be under kitchen sink.the boiler is fitted so gas bond ok.my question is as incoming water pipe is plastic and no copper pipe at the sink should i just bond under boiler? and inform assesor of my problem?

Bond the first piece of copper you can after the stopcock. That could well be at the boiler.

but it wont be there until new year!! as there is no potential there do you think i would be ok?

but it wont be there until new year!! as there is no potential there do you think i would be ok?
If the assessor has any sense he will see the cable is in situ ready to bond to the non existant water pipe which is to be fitted at a later date.

You can't connect to something that isn't there can you

yeah thats true cables there gas is bonded under boiler, maybe ill just loop it onto one of the water pipes under there to and explain that water will be bonded after turn off tap is fitted.first assesment and very nervous!!!!

They will prefer to see "work in progress" as they can see more of what you have done that way. By its very nature WIP is unfinished. As long as you can explain yourself lucidly and knowledgably, you will be fine.

Jammy , there are four basic things on first assessment.

1. You need to have a basic qualification .

2. You need all the paperwork in place ( Calibs/Insurance/Leckie at Work Act/ Regs/OSG / complaints book/couple of quotes/testers etc)

3. He needs to see that you are "competent" . The fact that you know the water needs bonding shows competence. They usually get you to carry out a couple of tests on site . A favourite question seems to be "What is the RCD X5 test for ?

4. They actually want to sign you up for the revenue !!!!

If you look through the posts on here you'll see that all of us are bricking it ,come assessment time , no matter how experienced we are, if you are confident as an electrician you'll be fine .

A lot of these blokes live and breathe the Regs , if he asks something and you go blank or don't know , just say you can't remember everything but ... I ALWAYS LOOK IT UP .!!

Let us know how you get on .

Deke

cheers deke,got all of that in place,im sure you know better than anyone how the assesments go and how nerve wracking it can be.

We used a nearly finished site a number of years ago for our annual nic inspection, only the gas meters hadn't been fitted so gas bonds were not in yet. All we had to do was send inspector a photo of the completed gas bonds when they were done.

just to let you know lads had assessment today passed with an A.bloke called phil noyce,really freindly helpful guy.well chuffed!! a couple of pints of the black stuff tonight i think!!

just to let you know lads had assessment today passed with an A.bloke called phil noyce,really freindly helpful guy.well chuffed!! a couple of pints of the black stuff tonight i think!!
Well done your brother passed too.