Kitchen heater leaking. Water touches the extension cord. Will I run into issues?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

galius

Reaction score
Hi, would would be your thoughts on this one?
On the floor under the sink in my kitchen is a power cord that connects the small undersink water heater to the outlet.
It's the heater's power cord connected to a simple extension cord. The coupling of the extension cord lies directly on the tiles.
What happened is that the boiler is leaking and losing water. The water forms a puddle on the floor. The coupling of the extension cord that supplies the heater with power is now in the puddle of water.
I am renting this apartment and it looks unsave to me. Am I wrong?

Turn off the power to the extension lead is my advice. Report issue politely to letting agent or landlord.

if you have a brick, raise the connection on to the top of the brick so it can start drying out

touched the little lake with the cord in it with my feet in the morning, until I realized the situation. Was this safe?

touched the little lake with the cord in it with my feet in the morning, until I realized the situation. Was this safe?

Impossible to say.....

but taking into consideration that electricity can kill a healthy adult in less than half a second...
and you are still able to post a question on the forum...

Whilst it may be potentially dangerous it is possibly not an immediate danger????

BUT.. The best course of action..
Is remove power and get it fully tested by a competent person with suitably calibrated test meters ASAP!!

get it fully tested by a competent person with suitably calibrated test meters
No point in getting anything tested, get the water heater leak fixed.

galius said:
It's the heater's power cord connected to a simple extension cord. The coupling of the extension cord lies directly on the tiles. The boiler is leaking and losing water. The water forms a puddle on the floor

galius, Pardon me asking :unsure: , where are you in the world, as you have said "cord" 5 times. In the UK we don't generally call it a cord.:)

I often wonder if sometimes posters want folk on here to say something they can use for a blame to claim ! .
You would assume that everyone knows water and electricity don't mix ! .
Just contact your letting agent or landlord and demand its moved or replaced with a more suitable safer arrangement. 😃

Locked to prevent being resurrected (again)

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts