Maintaining Heat in Water!

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We have to continually check for legionnaires at work. It's important not to use water when it's heated under 60 degrees. If you let the water cool down and then re-heat it to above 60 degrees then legionnaires is not a problem.

Legionnaires exists mostly in air-conditioning plants. It's called Legionnaires because it was first discovered in an American conference centre that was hosting the American Legion.

While it is a possibility it can grow in domestic hot water systems, it is a very, very rare occurrence. As long as the water is heated above 60 degrees before it is used then it will not occur. Also Legionnaires is passed on via an aerosol system that must be breathed into the lungs. So only showers are a possible way for this to happen in a domestic situation.

Don't loose too much sleep over this guys. :D

right, so why is it that in care home situations that the controlling thermostat MUST be set at 50....?????

confusing or what.?

(not sure if that applies to England or not tho,!?)

I think that it's because the hot water must always be on demand. And it's not a domestic situation where you know when you'll be home and can set the heating to come on accordingly.

so how does my combi cope??????im gettin worried now, in all honesty.

Ive got a little 'un.
Scuse my ignorance...

But isn't the risk from airborne bacteria settling on/in standing "open" water systems..

e.g. within domestic this would be a cold water storage tank in the loft...

one of the reasons if CW tank is fitted it shoulkd have a sealed lid on it?

e.g. bit like this sort of thing..

ohh was that at the other place] :)

Also need to put lagging round to stop freezing in winter & getting warm & tepid in summer increasing temp to a incubation temp!

Combi boiled.. fed from enclosed pipe system...

NO standing stagnate water area for bacteria to multiply?

This gives bit more info..

http://www.hse.gov.uk/legionnaires/

It is caused by the bacterium Legionella pneumophila and related bacteria that can be found naturally in environmental water sources such as rivers, lakes and reservoirs, usually in low numbers. As they are commonly found in environmental sources they may also be found in purpose built water systems such as cooling towers, evaporative condensers and whirlpool spas.
a suitable temperature for growth, 20 to 45oC;
And this page from the previous link...

http://www.hse.gov.uk/legionnaires/whatis.htm

This could of course be complete bumkum from me...

As tis an Electrical Forum... Not Plumbers Forum..

But that is my understanding of things..

Tis more of an industrial/commercial/large public buildings sort of problem Rather than Domestic??? ?:|

Lets face it... Hot water cylinders have been cooling & warming for donkeys years in thousands of homes around the country...

we'd all be dropping like flys! :|

Lets face it... Hot water cylinders have been cooling & warming for donkeys years in thousands of homes around the country...we'd all be dropping like flys! :|
Quite!

There is no risk with combi's as they heat on demand. There is a theroretical risk with storage cylinders, best to keep them at 60 degrees to be sure.

The main problem, as you state, is from air-conditioning where the water is at a lukewarm temperature. We sample the water to ensure the stuff isn't growing at regular intervals but it occurs quite freqently. It's just a case of dosing the systems with chemicals.

Don't loose too much sleep over this guys.

Quite!There is no risk with combi's as they heat on demand. There is a theroretical risk with storage cylinders, best to keep them at 60 degrees to be sure.

The main problem, as you state, is from air-conditioning where the water is at a lukewarm temperature. We sample the water to ensure the stuff isn't growing at regular intervals but it occurs quite freqently. It's just a case of dosing the systems with chemicals.

Don't loose too much sleep over this guys.
:D

Thats pretty much as I thought as well Mr S:) :)

Thanks for confirmin that tho! ;)

Dare you to ask Admin to start a Plumbers Forum!!! ]:) ] :) ]:) ] :)

But let me go and hide at the back of Theory's cave before you do. ; \:8} :)

P.S. If I lost any more sleep....

I'd been into negative hours.. The bedside clock would owe me time!!! :eek: :^O:^O

Latest posts