Manually Turn Off Mcb

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rcdelec

Reaction score
[SIZE=medium]I read somewhere on internet that some  types of MCB can turn on itself after tripping. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium] [/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]I don't want to use burglar alarm in my house.  On consumer unit, MCB is type 2.  If I manually turn off  (pull down) the MCB for burglar alarm, will it stay turned off, and not turn on again itself?    [/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium] [/SIZE]

I read somewhere on internet that some  types of MCB can turn on itself after tripping.
That's the problem with the internet.

I don't want to use burglar alarm in my house.  On consumer unit, MCB is type 2.  If I manually turn off  (pull down) the MCB for burglar alarm, will it stay turned off, and not turn on again itself?
There are devices which can auto-reset. I am 99.99999% certain that there won't be one in your consumer unit. Pull the fuse in the spur as well, and the internal fuse if you are concerned about MCBs being switched back on.

I have yet to see an MCB in use in a domestic environment that will turn itself.on, 

IMHO, for my >25yeats experience you should not be concerned 

[SIZE=medium]I read somewhere on internet that some  types of MCB can turn on itself after tripping. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium] [/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]I don't want to use burglar alarm in my house.  On consumer unit, MCB is type 2.  If I manually turn off  (pull down) the MCB for burglar alarm, will it stay turned off, and not turn on again itself?    [/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium] [/SIZE]
ive never seen one used in a house that will turn back on. some DNO equipment will turn back on, but not in your house.

but for your alarm... you need to do more than just turn off the power, you also need to disconnect its batteries

you need to do more than just turn off the power, you also need to disconnect its batteries
That is NOT a good idea.

The external sounder should also have a battery. When you remove the mains, the panel then runs on its battery, if you also remove the panel battery the external sounder should start and there is no way to stop it if you are on the ground. You need to get up to it to remove its battery.

Although it has to be asked why the mains is to be removed in the first place. If its just to work on something for a while then leave the battery alone. If it is to "down power" the system, best get a ladder first.

i said batteries, not battery, and i didnt say only disconnect the panel. i do know how to disconnect an alarm

Last edited by a moderator:
That is NOT a good idea.

The external sounder should also have a battery. When you remove the mains, the panel then runs on its battery, if you also remove the panel battery the external sounder should start and there is no way to stop it if you are on the ground. You need to get up to it to remove its battery.

Although it has to be asked why the mains is to be removed in the first place. If its just to work on something for a while then leave the battery alone. If it is to "down power" the system, best get a ladder first.
WRONG

Read his post again....he said disconnect BATTERIES NOT battery......he just did not say where they were

Just saying

Auto reset MCB’s are available, but, and here’s the catch, they need a separate supply.

Shunt trips, auto reclose, look in the Schneider catalogue followed by looking in your bank account.

If you need to ask the price, you can’t afford it.

Last edited by a moderator:
They would be the ones closely attended by a helpful householder as you rest under a ton of insultaion and try to work out what just occurred with the now seemingly 'dead' loft wiring . . .

ladder and a pair of ear defenders / ear plugs is advisable for the external sounder. it will 'go off' a soon as you disturb the cover
Or just unload a can of expanding foam in the box which renders them all pretty useless.

This reminds me to remind you all that the (memorandum of) guidance on the electricity at work regs was revised in October 2015, a free copy is available for download here http://www.hse.gov.uk/pubns/priced/hsr25.pdf ready for any inspection visit.
I must have had other things on my........when that came out!

Every day is a school day

Duly downloaded and put in Scam folder

Thank you

ladder and a pair of ear defenders / ear plugs is advisable for the external sounder. it will 'go off' a soon as you disturb the cover
Will external box sound even if there is no battery OR battery is dead? As I mentioned earlier, external box doesn't make any sound when power goes away.  It only starts sound when power is back.

Will external box sound even if there is no battery OR battery is dead? As I mentioned earlier, external box doesn't make any sound when power goes away.  It only starts sound when power is back.
bell box has  a battery against 'tamper' which may still be servicable, but possibly as dead as the main battery in the control panel - only 1 way to find out really, suggest not too early in the morning to avoid upsetting neighbours (unless you don;t like them :slap )