March Newsletter

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sparks I know of applied to enlist and the guy pulled him  on the prongs on his testers being more than 4mm protruding from the insulation .  Pathetic !! Replacing them to comply .   More cash . 
His AE must have had standards as " slack as a Wizards sleeve"

Reading from GS38 which I always have a copy of within arms reach ( you never know when the Izal will run out)

GS38. 9 a (Ii) recommends a 2mm protrusion measured across any face. This is for safety as it means with 2 mm you cannot get into 99.99999999% of terminals anyway so, ipso facto it is infinitely safer

Just saying..............

.....note to self. "re grind your tips"

Had a glance at my kit ,  old Steinel tester has the insulation cut back , about 1" showing , various drivers have insulation cut back , obviously to access  small ,deep terminals . 

New multi tester hasn't been butchered ...yet .

The patented  " Evans Electric- home made- fits anything multi-prong 13A loop impdence testing  adaptor  Mk 2 "   I don't think should be mentioned in any serious debate TBH..   The assessor caught a glimpse of it once ...shuddered  and quickly looked the other way .

Photo to follow later.

Had a glance at my kit ,  old Steinel tester has the insulation cut back , about 1" showing , various drivers have insulation cut back , obviously to access  small ,deep terminals . 

New multi tester hasn't been butchered ...yet .

The patented  " Evans Electric- home made- fits anything multi-prong 13A loop impdence testing  adaptor  Mk 2 "   I don't think should be mentioned in any serious debate TBH..   The assessor caught a glimpse of it once ...shuddered  and quickly looked the other way .

Photo to follow later.
I used to use Steinel Combi Checks....loved ' em! Self testing of the LEDs AND Apprentice proof. They made two versions of the combi check. An electronic one with more metal showing on the tips and an Electricians version with a smaller tip showing.

I use to have one of those old 70s adapter multiplugs....one plug with about 15 pin combinations on it. 2a, 5a, 15a, 2in, 3 pin, 13a, Wylex plugs......life was much more complicated in those days!

Must root around for mine in the workshop and post a pic. Also got an ORIGINAL MK sleeved plug top.....only ever seen one !,,

On the subject of old plugs and things:

am I the only one that has a rewireable 13A plug, that has a 13A socket built into the top of it, so you can stack as many of them as you like into one socket?

Never seen one like that Dave.  

Doing that PAT testing the other week  I removed an IEC lead from a PC  ...it had a moulded 13A plug top   , just a plastic moulding , 3 pins , slim. solidly moulded to the lead . no fuse .

attachicon.gif
image.jpg

I'll have to try and find my universal comms-phone-data adapter
Ah  the spring loaded sleeves , they weren't around too long .

Never seen one like that Dave.  

Here you go

I'm sometimes tempted to put it back into use as the plug on one of my extension leads. Might still let me plug in the cordless drill charger as well if there are not many sockets (particularly true on building sites with multiple cascaded extension leads) :slap

And yes it does have a fuse and shutters over the socket pins, so what could possibly be wrong with it?

13A_plug_socket.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: