Mature apprentices ?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Evans Electric

TEF LINUX ADMIN™
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We get dozens of enquiries from mature guys looking to  re-train  as electricians  ....does anyone know if any of these guys have any success  , or did you come through that way yourselves ? 

Just wondering  because it must be heartbreaking trying to go on this path.   

Difficult, as you have to pay adult wages, so costs are relatively high for an apprentice. BUT, they do tend to be more motivated, better to talk to, and turn up on time. Downside is that most have ambitions to work for themselves, so leave as as trained. However, I would look at taking one on as a subby - ie offer paid experience. If they are ****e, you just stop using them! If they are any good, then perhaps put on the books, although I no longer believe in doing this, I've had enough of 'staff'.

It is no more difficult than a young apprentice, usually a mature app knows that they want to do it rather than doing it as an option :C  
usually they think they will earn £40k +   :slap . 

This is the advantage of older apprenti, they are motivated in a way school leavers just aren't , have a lot more common sense and can talk to customers.

It is no more difficult than a young apprentice,
I'm thinking in terms of an older person  is probably supporting a family , mortgage /rent to pay /utility bills  etc   ......   where a school leaver , if lucky ,  although being on apprentice's  pay rate would be living with  parents  ,  college courses paid by employer  & learning on the job with other sparks.   

I can’t help but think that people see an electrician’s work as an “easy option” compared to other trades. After all it’s only a couple of wires to play about with, what can be so difficult about that? Six weeks and you’ll need a wheelbarrow to deposit your profits in to the bank.

There’s no regulation of the title “electrician”, whose fault is that? A couple of high profile deaths due to electrical incompetence would help getting the ball rolling.

I can’t help but think that people see an electrician’s work as an “easy option” compared to other trades.
I always had that impression .    Perhaps they should  cop for a job 10,000 ft  up above in a working  steel  works , hooked on to the nearest roof purlin by the safety  line ,  while jointing  a  4core  X  300mm   SWA  onto a PILSWA  .   

The get rich quick guys wouldn’t touch a job like that if they knew what was involved and to be honest I wouldn’t trust them with the job. But they’ve done the course and they’re now invincible!

Its fun watching to start with, but in the back of you’re mind is “I’m going to have to sort this bloody mess out”.

I can’t help but think that people see an electrician’s work as an “easy option” compared to other trades. After all it’s only a couple of wires to play about with, what can be so difficult about that? Six weeks and you’ll need a wheelbarrow to deposit your profits in to the bank.

There’s no regulation of the title “electrician”, whose fault is that? A couple of high profile deaths due to electrical incompetence would help getting the ball rolling.
Interesting Would you class me as a competent individual Im 49 years of age ,I starting working down the mines at 16, working on the electrical heavy gang,which consisted of transporting large transformers through awful terrain ,in shocking conditions  .After 6 years,I left and then worked my way up to run a large team in an engineering company(Stressful),but i couldn't  settle ,at 30 year old ,I managed to get a job at a supply company and put myself through college ,it took 3 years in the evenings level 2 and 3 2330, pat testing and 17th edition ,i then got a job in a distribution company,and learnt a massive amount.My problem was i never did my 2391.I can do most electrical jobs and I certainly don’t think its easy money, and to do it properly you need a huge amount of skill.

Ive recently been to one of the training places no names mentioned ,ive done my solar panel and ev car charging courses ,as i was, and still am thinking of going on my own, but would love to work for somebody, 

These guys I met  on these courses ,have had no electrical experience in many cases and have just done a 32 days course as a Part P installer, some of the people didn't know what day it was, how they got through their initial verification assessment ,i have no idea.

When i was working with distribution, Ive taken supplies away, even  after proper registered sparks have done shoddy work ,theres all inexperienced and experienced cowboys regardless what of age or background.

Ive sent my CV off to loads of electrical companies, even to work as an improver, my problem is I'm too old, probably wouldn't  be quick enough, never get replies.Ive thought about doing my 2391(I think its a different course now)but i don't think it would do me any favours,as I haven’t got a good background in Domestic and commercial .

on top of that ,this industry about to get tough for the best sparks, never mind inexperienced guys like me.

These guys I met  on these courses ,have had no electrical experience in many cases and have just done a 32 days course as a Part P installer, some of the people didn't know what day it was, how they got through their initial verification assessment ,i have no idea.
This is the scary  stuff thats going on  these days .    

Interesting Would you class me as a competent individual Im 49 years of age ,I starting working down the mines at 16, working on the electrical heavy gang,which consisted of transporting large transformers through awful terrain ,in shocking conditions  .After 6 years,I left and then worked my way up to run a large team in an engineering company(Stressful),but i couldn't  settle ,at 30 year old ,I managed to get a job at a supply company and put myself through college ,it took 3 years in the
This is another thing that occurs these days ... that is a wealth of experience  you describe  but you don't get considered at the advanced age  49 .   What are these firms scared of FFS   , in this day & age  you could give them 20 yrs service .     At which time they've  probably gone bust anyway .      

My advice would be to sign up with a couple of agencies, it may be tough at the moment but you probably have more knowledge than you think. By going through the agency route you will make contacts for if not now then further down the line, providing you do a good job, many firms wouldn’t know quick if it meant saving their lives never mind their job. 

To be honest I’d go for the industrial side, you already have some experience of it. Managing a contract isn’t easy as I found out early on, fortunately the company were there to help (they threw in the mire, they got me out).

There’s a lot more to moving and installing a transformer (see https://talk.electricianforum.co.uk/knowledgebase/transformers/).

Cabling and protection need understanding both can cause a dangerous situation. There’s also the funny side, trying to explain just how we’d got a transformer stuck under a railway bridge caused much merriment.

My apprenticeship collage work was mainly theory. No conduit bending / installation work, that was your employers responsibly. I’m 64 now, apprentice collage work has changed a lot since then.