How do you find work after finishing level 2-3 electrical installation dipmoa after college?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

randomguy

Reaction score
So I have tried applying to every electrician mate/improver jobs there is on every job websites and I got a few calls saying that they want guys with experience. I did this for 4 months and no luck.

I went to electrical wholesalers to advertise and no luck.

I got a 18th edition, cscs card, ipaf, Full Driving licence but it seem these tickets are still not enough to get in onsite.

Have anyone tried to instead in contacting local electricians companies to find work? Was it a success? Because I tried it once and its like hitting a brick wall with no success. Do you reckon it's worth asking them that I am willing to work for minimum wage for work experience at their company? I just dont have a clue what to do right now to get that first step into the industry.

Any help is appreciated.

All you can really do is keep on contacting local sparky companies - most Sole Traders don't want or need extra hands - and hope you strike lucky.

How much site experience do you have?

All you can really do is keep on contacting local sparky companies - most Sole Traders don't want or need extra hands - and hope you strike lucky.

How much site experience do you have?
None... was thinking on getting a job as a labourer.. but it would not be anything electrical as I be heavy lifting but its onsite. Reckon it's still worth doing for now until I find something electrical? I was thinking of calling up electrical companies after new years because I highly doubt there will be any work when Christmas is around the corner.

join as many agency's as you can find, they will find you work , you might get thrown off most sties, but you will get better each time, and after a while you will have the experience you need,

None... was thinking on getting a job as a labourer.. but it would not be anything electrical as I be heavy lifting but its onsite. Reckon it's still worth doing for now until I find something electrical? I was thinking of calling up electrical companies after new years because I highly doubt there will be any work when Christmas is around the corner.
School shutdowns over Xmas is a source of work for some companies.

As per @poni , I would apply to agencies . And as per your own post, just getting onsite would be a good move.

School shutdowns over Xmas is a source of work for some companies.

As per @poni , I would apply to agencies . And as per your own post, just getting onsite would be a good move.
I got a question about agencies. I live in swindon a town thats very much surrounded by countryside. My issue is... most electrician mate roles are further away from my area. So it would take me 1.5 - 2 hours just to get there. Do you reckon it's still worth applying to these roles anyway just to get me into their system? I just applied to a few on indeed thats quite close to me and I haven't have a clue what agencies are out there other than the one posting job adverts. Thanks very much for the help. 🙏

No idea about agencies... So I will skip that bit of your question..
{ i.e. The last time I used one was I think late 1998ish... before I went self employed in Feb 1999...}

But looking at your overall question... as far as I see it you have two key problems:-

[1] It doesn't matter what sector of work you want to find employment in; (Construction, Hairdressing, Retail, Teaching, Car mechanic, Banking, Care worker, Savile-Row tailor, Landscape gardening, Air traffic control.. etc.. etc.. etc..), more often than not it is "Who You Know" NOT "What You Know", that gets you the job! Qualifications and experience are both very important and beneficial... But it is also very common to find a less qualified and/or less experienced person gains a job position, by virtue of the fact that they know directly or indirectly one or more of the persons selecting who will fill a vacancy.. So the more you can make personal contacts and get your name around with any potential employers the better your chances will be... Basically don't give up knocking doors and contacting anyone and everyone who could potentially have some work that you could do!! And even don't be shy about re-trying previous potential employers.. e.g. 6 months down the line ask again if their workload, employee requirements may have changed?

[2] Excluding things like maintenance at a specific company site... A significant proportion of electrical work can be at various locations that sometimes change on a daily basis... So you do need to have a personal evaluation of how far you are able/willing to travel.. and/or how much expenses you are able to claim to offset the travel-to/from-work time & costs!! And balance up how much you may be able to add to the experience aspect of you CV by doing a few months of a bit more onerous travel too & from work!

However.. both of the above points are pretty difficult for any of us at the other-end of an inter-web forum to give you 100% fail-safe advice..

But on a positive note..... With all the current push for Green energy sources...
Demands for electrical related solutions do seem to have the upper hand over Gas related solutions??

So don't give up.. keep pushing & trying and I'm sure something will come up.
(y) 🍺 🍻

most electrician mate roles are further away from my area. So it would take me 1.5 - 2 hours just to get there. Do you reckon it's still worth applying to these roles anyway just to get me into their system?
I cant tell you how far you can travel to work , that depends on the rate, and how willing you are to travel for that. not all work is close to the a agency normally they are close to the head office of the contractor needing the guys,
I haven't have a clue what agencies are out there other than the one posting job adverts
why would you not use Google? I would go around some of the big jobs in you area and ask who they use as their agency,
have you tried this one, https://www.google.com/search?q=jobs+electrical+improver+Swindon&rlz=1C1FHFK_en-GBGB1000GB1000&oq=jobs+electrical+improver&gs_lcrp=EgZjaHJvbWUyBggAEEUYOdIBCTI3Mzg2ajBqNKgCALACAA&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8&ibp=htl;jobs&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjmhNLJl8eCAxUQU0EAHYwlCYcQudcGKAF6BAgaECc#fpstate=tldetail&htivrt=jobs&htidocid=wjzR2naMXsrMagqhAAAAAA==

a quick search i found 9 in Swindon