MCB/RCD on consumer unit tripping

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am getting a bit cautious of new regs where Grenfell is used as a reason for there introduction, there are so many theories as to what happened at Grenfell and I have heard so many different stories of what supposedly was the cause of the fire I'm now beginning to wonder if the true cause will ever be resolved and positively identified . If the fire was caused by a fridge / freezer why has there been no recall or checks instigated on the model of fridge / freezer involved over 3 years on, surely if the seat of the fire is an appliance then this potentially presents a bigger risk to more lives and households than how the cladding on a building allowed the fire to spread. Maybe we need an inquiry into why these inquiries take so long and cost so much to produce any meaningful results

When you look at the information available there are too many if's with AFDD's with regard to what they can detect and when they will operate, currently we can check an RCD / RCBO is operating correctly and within tolerance with the appropriate test equipment, other than pressing a button on the front of an AFDD we have no other means of verifying it's correct operation and that it is still within tolerance. Then there is the question how do you identify a faulty AFDD or a fault on the circuit, I don't know if AFDD's susceptible to mains borne noise or harmonics which would then cause nuisance trips

Mandating the use of AFDD's will no doubt in the short term have an effect on the general safety of older installations as the cost to update an old CU will become considerably more expensive and beyond some householders budgets, it remains to be seen if AFDD's will become a lot cheaper as more are used and production is ramped up to meet the increased demand and the cost of CU's become more affordable again

I am getting a bit cautious of new regs where Grenfell is used as a reason for there introduction, there are so many theories as to what happened at Grenfell and I have heard so many different stories of what supposedly was the cause of the fire I'm now beginning to wonder if the true cause will ever be resolved and positively identified . If the fire was caused by a fridge / freezer why has there been no recall or checks instigated on the model of fridge / freezer involved over 3 years on, surely if the seat of the fire is an appliance then this potentially presents a bigger risk to more lives and households than how the cladding on a building allowed the fire to spread. Maybe we need an inquiry into why these inquiries take so long and cost so much to produce any meaningful results

When you look at the information available there are too many if's with AFDD's with regard to what they can detect and when they will operate, currently we can check an RCD / RCBO is operating correctly and within tolerance with the appropriate test equipment, other than pressing a button on the front of an AFDD we have no other means of verifying it's correct operation and that it is still within tolerance. Then there is the question how do you identify a faulty AFDD or a fault on the circuit, I don't know if AFDD's susceptible to mains borne noise or harmonics which would then cause nuisance trips

Mandating the use of AFDD's will no doubt in the short term have an effect on the general safety of older installations as the cost to update an old CU will become considerably more expensive and beyond some householders budgets, it remains to be seen if AFDD's will become a lot cheaper as more are used and production is ramped up to meet the increased demand and the cost of CU's become more affordable again
It is generally accepted that the fire started in an appliance, the condition of which was unknown, it is felt that it had a plastic back, there has been some discussion about this being deemed unacceptable.

A lot of appliances are unsafe, a lot of goods purchased via online marketplaces are unsafe and not legal for use in the UK.

What people do not realise is if they procure an item personally from outside the UK (was EU), then they become the legal importer and are responsible for the safety of the product.

In the scenario where say a hair straightener is purchased via an online marketplace and the seller is outside the UK, and say the unit catches fire and burns their house down, their house insurer could sue them personally for the losses as the legal importer, and it would be down to the individual to sue the manufacturer abroad, possibly China for their losses.

There are, some, if's and yes there is the prospect of nuisance tripping, however, most on the UK market will indicate are of the combined type and will indicate if the fault detected is, arc, overcurrent or leakage.

i.e. AFDD/MCB or RCD which has caused the trip.

Thus from that one can quickly identify whether it is an arc or not.

They all have inbuilt diagnostics which will quickly become a nuisance if the device goes faulty.

The short term effect will be that installations will not be upgraded, however, it will be the poorer that are most at risk from this, and this is fine for the ruling class as they want to rid themselves of the less well off.

Therefore they are not concerned.

Those who can afford to have the upgrades will be safe and thus will have reasonable funds.

The short term effect will be that installations will not be upgraded, however, it will be the poorer that are most at risk from this, and this is fine for the ruling class as they want to rid themselves of the less well off.

Therefore they are not concerned.

Those who can afford to have the upgrades will be safe and thus will have reasonable funds.

Everything in this country seems to be increasingly at the expense of the poor /less well off.   :(