MCS is no longer required by Octopus.

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mcskippster

Reaction score
Some.confusion seems to exists concerning MCS.

At one point MCS was a good however 5he market has evolved and as Competent qualified people we should not have had to comply and do other certification when covered in our exsiting skillset.

Octopus have basically deregulated the process.
They will do your dno application.

One can even self certify although a warning to those who do diy check your competency as electricity can kill.

Personally I think this is a good change as the MCS system although it had its value is now outdated.

When the boss of the now privatised company deosnt even have solar well that says it all.

MCS has been widely discussed on here. Ultimately it is a quango private company whose aim is to make money for itself.

It was always the intention that solar became regular work for electrcians and associated trades. But I would also say no one should really take this work in without some training. The cost of MCS registration and compliance has ultimately pushed a lot of people into DIY solar, the results of which are no doubt 'variable' and a little concerning.

Please review the videos.
Also importantly the octopus revised terms and conditions.

This should answer your question rather than adding any variables myself.

One thing is clear the industry is evolving although much that seems regulatory often isn't as it seems.

Please review the videos.
Also importantly the octopus revised terms and conditions.

This should answer your question rather than adding any variables myself.

One thing is clear the industry is evolving although much that seems regulatory often isn't as it seems.

I'd appreciate your view on what they say ......

MCS has been widely discussed on here. Ultimately it is a quango private company whose aim is to make money for itself.

It was always the intention that solar became regular work for electrcians and associated trades. But I would also say no one should really take this work in without some training. The cost of MCS registration and compliance has ultimately pushed a lot of people into DIY solar, the results of which are no doubt 'variable' and a little concerning.
Agreed, with all things the lack of knowledge can be dangerous to one's health and expensive.

It's often hard to balance education against qualification especially where diy is concerned.
Luckily most of the population is not capable and will always defer to an electrician.
I agree they need to be competent and not all.of them are, they often don't understand DC.

I've had several electricians for other projects and sadly even after training had to let them go.

Government overreach then turning into private profit making and regulation for the sake of regulation is never good.

I note this has been discussed extensively however new members will ask.
I acknowledge your comment however often people will not look and search for answers and instead ask.

I will in the future find a reference in the group and link it for them rather than add a new section and accept my telling off :)

I'd appreciate your view on what they say ......
I see little to stop one trying.
At the end of the day can you demonstrate your instalation is compliant?

Does the equipment comply with the requirements for feed in?

What is the worst that happens they say no and your no worse off.
However as the market adapts its highly likely that say yes.

If you fail now re apply next summer and you will find its all changed again generaly for the better.

Off topic although octopus intelgent is clever it could be industry overreach.

Agreed, with all things the lack of knowledge can be dangerous to one's health and expensive.

It's often hard to balance education against qualification especially where diy is concerned.
Luckily most of the population is not capable and will always defer to an electrician.
I agree they need to be competent and not all.of them are, they often don't understand DC.

I've had several electricians for other projects and sadly even after training had to let them go.

Government overreach then turning into private profit making and regulation for the sake of regulation is never good.

I note this has been discussed extensively however new members will ask.
I acknowledge your comment however often people will not look and search for answers and instead ask.

I will in the future find a reference in the group and link it for them rather than add a new section and accept my telling off :)
Not telling you off, just can't be arsed to through it all again 😃.

I was registered with MCS for ten years, and have installed nearly 1 million KW of panels. Problems with the scheme, are fairly typical of all trades these days. It was well intentioned but still didn't stop cowboys, just shut out a lot of small decent companies.

Most of these "quango's" were developed under Labour as a way to create employment ...
The last labour government spent a lot of time following Tory policies, I doubt Starmer will be much different. But at least the last labour goverment kick started solar and other green energy, where as Camerron ( remember him, "greenest government ever") trashed the FiT twice and allowed big business to build solar farms, soaking up the alloted budget constraints for solar generation, instead of ordinary people getting payments for energy on their houses. Half the problem with the UK is lobbying from those with money...

Last edited:
Hmm poloticians:

I used to.encourage people to vote but when there's no one worth voting for and they are so self centred and only looking out for themselves however good the intention end up corrupted by the system I can't as said above be arsed. :)

Two business's ruined by short sighted tory govenments but equally have no faith in the alternatives.

Hmm poloticians:

I used to.encourage people to vote but when there's no one worth voting for and they are so self centred and only looking out for themselves however good the intention end up corrupted by the system I can't as said above be arsed. :)

Two business's ruined by short sighted tory govenments but equally have no faith in the alternatives.
The biggest problem is lobbying, the politicians get fed so much biased information from those with lots of money it's no surprise they make the wrong decisions. Just look at the recent decision to give tax breaks to oil and gas, but not green energy investment. However, I disagree with ' their all crap attitude' . That suits the really bad MPs like Boris and his cronies, my own MP is a really decent bloke who really does care, and there's lots of other MPs like him in all parties, although I think the Tory's have the lowest number of decent MPs - just in case you haven't noticed by now, I'm not a fan of the Tory party. I don't actually support any of the parties, but particularly dislike the bunch in blue who keep costing me more money.

The biggest problem is lobbying, the politicians get fed so much biased information from those with lots of money it's no surprise they make the wrong decisions. Just look at the recent decision to give tax breaks to oil and gas, but not green energy investment. However, I disagree with ' their all crap attitude' . That suits the really bad MPs like Boris and his cronies, my own MP is a really decent bloke who really does care, and there's lots of other MPs like him in all parties, although I think the Tory's have the lowest number of decent MPs - just in case you haven't noticed by now, I'm not a fan of the Tory party. I don't actually support any of the parties, but particularly dislike the bunch in blue who keep costing me more money.

The next lot will cost you even more 😉

The next lot will cost you even more 😉
AHH, but will it? My problem with the Tory party is they keep harping on about lowering tax, but only seem to give tax breaks to the wealthy, have basically broken public services, and the net result is paying out more from my pocket to private companies than any extra tax would have cost me.

I'll do a little googling later and put some numbers together to justify that point.

AHH, but will it? My problem with the Tory party is they keep harping on about lowering tax, but only seem to give tax breaks to the wealthy, have basically broken public services, and the net result is paying out more from my pocket to private companies than any extra tax would have cost me.

I'll do a little googling later and put some numbers together to justify that point.

Problem is ALL parties would need to raise taxes, but nobody is telling the truth

I for one have repeatedly stated I’m happy to pay more

That would be the result of the PFI's that the government signed up to in the late 90's and early noughties, oop's sorry that was ................the Labour party who signed up to build new hospitals with fewer beds than the hospitals they were replacing all on an ever increasing mortgage deal that will cripple their beloved NHS before they get to full term
The current prospect of a Labour government is interesting as they have spent all the money at least twice over and that is before they get to power

The only common thing is they are all as bad as each other

Last edited:
That would be the result of the PFI's that the government signed up to in the late 90's and early noughties, oop's sorry that was ................the Labour party who signed up to build new hospitals with fewer beds than the hospitals they were replacing all on an ever increasing mortgage deal that will cripple their beloved NHS before they get to full term
The current prospect of a Labour government is interesting as they have spent all the money at least twice over and that is before they get to power

The only common thing is they are all as bad as each other
And after the last 13 years if Tory rule, what's improved? Actually I would say that about the last 40 years, since the adoption of neo- liberalism.