Micro switch operation of lights.

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

safedepth

Reaction score
Afternoon all,

Can anyone point in me in the right direction on this one please?

I have a customer who wishes to operate his garage lighting automatically when his remotely operated roller door opens. It is a bank of 6 x 6' florries on a their own circuit. They will also still require operation independently of the roller door, no need to keep the lights on during a bright day as there are a number of sky lights.

The door is controlled via a GSM dialler. He rings a number and the door opens, ring again and it shuts. Lights are required to come on with door to allow safer reversing into the garage.

I considered a PIR but there is a lot of greenery at the entrance and feel spurious operation would be an issue.

I'm thinking of a microswitch linked to the door but am wondering about how to keep the manual operation.

I don't expect or even wish to have the answer provided and am strangely looking forward to designing the set up but have no idea where to start looking for the answers.

Any pointers would be very appreciated.

Have a look at telemecanique switches or proximity switches. They will have something you can use. You will need a limit switch that is operated by the door when it rises and an over ride switch that will allow the light to be turned off when not needed.

Telemecanique-rotational-limit-switch-xcr-F17H2.jpg

You could have a relay arrangement that resets the override when the garage door shuts in case the owner forgot to do it. There are lots of things you could build into it. Could be quite a nice project actually!!

Some garage door openers have auxiliary out contacts for lights,,, most certainly have a light that comes on with the opener, just use a relay or contractors connected to that?
Thanks Noz,

This has a light that actually stays on 24/7. I will need to look into that anyway. The trouble is if I use a relay from that supply how do I provide independent control? I still need to turn the lights off. If the customer does this and forgets to put them back into remote control surely they will remain off regardless of the microswitch.

I would agree with revjames, just fix a light that operates with the door activation, and keep the garage lighting separate. Perhaps put the garage on a PIR, or time delay, so that it goes out after the set time. This way you would always have a light whenever the door is activated, and no need to overide. If however he is a gadget man, then you can buy all kinds of automated stuff that will do anything you want it to do.

You could use a standard alarm roller contact & a 12v PSU to operate a relay?

Roller Shutter Door Contact

Any switch contacts wired in parallel with the normal light switch could operate the the light while the door is open

then once door closed leave only the standard light switch controlling the light.

:C

Latest posts