Milk Float Charging

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dobo99

Reaction score
Morning everyone. Job this week to install supply to charge a milk float which has been converted to an 8 seater tram (for the purpose of guided tours). Previously the float was kept at the owners house and the charger supply was installed by another company (British Gas). As it was a domestic property it was treated as an electric vehicle supply and utilised TT earthing.

The float is now going to be stored on a farm in 1 of the sheds. Supply to the farm is 3 phase TNC-S.

Do I need to treat the same as before and bang a rod/rods in and treat as TT?

Many thanks

I think that you will find this is the case.  In the regs now there

is a Special Location for vehicle battery charging stations.

It is not in the first amended version of the regs but it is there

in a later one.

Curious all these years people have been using electric fork lift

I think that you will find this is the case.  In the regs now there

is a Special Location for vehicle battery charging stations.

It is not in the first amended version of the regs but it is there

in a later one.

Curious all these years people have been charging electric fork lift trucks and milk floats but now they seem to be classed as Special Locations

Last edited by a moderator:
Been this morning and disconnected the transformer from the house and taken it to the farm. The earth from the transformer was connected to a rod, so looks like im gonna need to find a good place to stick one/several.

Curious all these years people have been using electric fork lift

Curious all these years people have been charging electric fork lift trucks and milk floats but now they seem to be classed as Special Locations
but the difference with a FLT is the charger is the only thing mains voltage: the connection to the FLT is a lower voltage and usually connected via andersons. with cars, you take a full 230v supply to the vehicle. as for the milk float, i guess it depends where the charger is...