Monday's job

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Evans Electric

TEF LINUX ADMIN™
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A decorator/handyman passes the occasional domestic to me. His client had some sockets done and an electric towel rail fixed but not connected, unknown sparks won't return to do it.

Will I connect the rail, inspect the other jobs and pass it off. I said no, can't certify other people's work. He says customer has this phone number for a man at LBC who will talk to me about it when I'm there. Oh and customer is "desperate " for the cert !!!

Well it should prove interesting if nothing else.

Deke

Deke

Rip it to bits mate with every code you can think of

main bonding for one

no rcd protection or supplimentary bonding in the bathroom

plug in towel rail over bath !!!!

check everything thoroughly before you second fix. even lift boards to check wiring there. all that at your hourly rate. if LABC agree to notify it, then providing your happy with the way the wiring has been done so far, cant really see a problem with you writing an EIC

I thought I'd write some sort of disclaimer on the cert. As we all know the tests could be fine but won't show all the bare connectors he may have left under the boards, who knows. What interests me is that surely we were told you can't EIC other bloke's jobs, but on saying that, of course, the LBC can by sending a registered sparks and in the case of Birmingham, a bill for

i would pir it , let him sort out notificaiton through lbc .. stuff him

I did a cu change the other week knowing that the guy had rewired all his sockets and garage,,put new ccts in.

my assessor said it was above board for me to change the cu and issue the cert fo a cu change only...

the customer had phoned labc and said that was ok.!!!!

to be fair though all the tests were good and a quick inspection of his work showed he knew the basics.

asd for the lights that he didnt touch,,,,well they were a mess broken cpc's everywhere.

following on from that...

the LABC dont care what the home owner does in his own home...if it burns down its his fault !!!!

:eek:

I had a similar jobs ages ago.

Extension had been built with LABC notified of building work.

Client had wired it themselves with new circuits (before Part P - so they claim).

They asked if I would install a new CU for the circuits, 2nd fix and sign off the extension. I said nope (not willing to put my name to the whole lot), but I got LABC to sign off the 1st fix themselves. Then I did the CU and 2nd fix. I stated on the EIC the circuits had been installed by the client and 1st signed off by LABC.

The LABC were happy with this.

Job done - nice little earner :)

O.

I had a similar jobs ages ago.Extension had been built with LABC notified of building work.

Client had wired it themselves with new circuits (before Part P - so they claim).

They asked if I would install a new CU for the circuits, 2nd fix and sign off the extension. I said nope (not willing to put my name to the whole lot), but I got LABC to sign off the 1st fix themselves. Then I did the CU and 2nd fix. I stated on the EIC the circuits had been installed by the client and 1st signed off by LABC.

The LABC were happy with this.

Job done - nice little earner :)

O.
I had this local to me and they refused to have my signature as I had not carried out the first fix.

I am not saying all authoritys will demand the same, but be carefull as it is now getting far stricter on who does what.

I don't know what all the fuss is about.. If this was a CU change and replacement of accessories then you'd certify it in the blink of an eye (with any upgrades/repair as necessary)....

So why not cert it that way,,, just make sure that you note on the cert that you didn't install any fixed wiring...

+add a few

I don't know what all the fuss is about.. If this was a CU change and replacement of accessories then you'd certify it in the blink of an eye (with any upgrades/repair as necessary)....So why not cert it that way,,, just make sure that you note on the cert that you didn't install any fixed wiring...

+add a few

I don't know what all the fuss is about.. If this was a CU change and replacement of accessories then you'd certify it in the blink of an eye (with any upgrades/repair as necessary)....So why not cert it that way,,, just make sure that you note on the cert that you didn't install any fixed wiring...

+add a few

Do a MWC for the towel rail, and a PIR for the rest of the installation.

I talked about this exact circumstance with my assessor... he had absolutely no problem with it..

You have to word your cert so that you are not signing off the cable installation, just the CU and accessory replacement

I talked about this exact circumstance with my assessor... he had absolutely no problem with it..You have to word your cert so that you are not signing off the cable installation, just the CU and accessory replacement
this is where i think we all need to be careful...

Details of installation box in this case should read

'Consumer Unit and Accessory Replacement'

and nothing about the rewire/new cct etc done by others...if it goes Pete Tong and they claim against you... lots of problems

put too much info on the cert then you are asking for trouble

Only info that you are responsible for for the job you are doing...

The thing in the back of my mind is this, original sparks sods off without certifying, the customer would then be asking the LBC to sign it off, I presume. They would send someone round at a cost of ( in Brum)

Went there this morning, kitchen extension with toilet, sparks not registered, had his money and won't come back to fix towel rail and certify. The work looked OK.

The LABC had left a note saying do a Periodic. He'd extended the existing ring and added a light and fan to the lighting, which is what I would have done. Tests were OK .

Just realised as I write this, there was no fan isolator, Oh well , can't think of everything.