Mozilla Thunderbird Sutup Problem (Ubuntu)

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So I'm trying to set up thunderbird to send and receive email

We have a bit of an unusual setup where we use emails base on a domain name we own. Incoming mail is collected via our ISP's mail server, but outgoing mail is sent via the domain host's server.

That shouldn't be a problem. Except I am having trouble setting up the outgoing server.

Under Account settings > Outgoing server I have set up:

Description:  What I want to call it.

Server name:  well I have entered the correct server name

Port:  Taken a guess and left it at 1

Connection security : none

Authentication method:  Password, transmitted insecurely

User name:  I have entered the correct user name for the outgoing server.

And THAT is all the options I have.

My "problem" is WHERE do I actually enter the PASSWORD to be sent to the outgoing mail server. it is different to the one used for incoming mail so I hope it's not just trying to use that.

It fails on sending mails with a rather "catch all" "the message could not be sent because connection to the smtp server failed"

Well I;m not surprised it failed because I haven't found where to enter the password.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wrong port no. PD as a start.

Not sure what it is, but you need it off your mail,provider, though there are a few standard ones, and port 1 is not one of them! ;)

You were right it was the port.

I looked up on another machine and it was using port 25 (it had defaulted to that, I didn't consciously select it), so I tried that and it worked.

When sending a mail it then asked me for the password.  Funny how it does that rather than just let you enter the password as part of the setup?

Last edited by a moderator: