My fogstar rack battery

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mcskippster

Reaction score
I am so please I found this group

Fogstar rack battery owner myself.
We thought, well I thought it sensible to test some equipment out before my Company decided on providing any type of Solar system or advice.

Its been a journey good and bad.

In no particular order the following comes to mind concerning fogstar and general thoughts from reading all your comments on both the batteries and solar in general.

Fogstar.

I have 6 of the fogstar rack batteries connected by can
10kw 20 x 500w panels
20 Tigo TS4 with logger ect a must for my location.
1 x 8kw ecco sunsynk Inverter.
The Solar asistamt software on a pi3 a must!
Home assistant on a Khadas running on rs485 to the inverter and one to the batteries.

Im working on weather schedling and the SA unit helps a lot and not worth me building something for the price of the software and the pi running home assistant.

Over all apart from battery cabling and the method of battery connectivity for the price I'm happy with the Fogstar product, it's very similar to the Jakkiper battery but certainly not internally built to the quality of the Jakki.
When out of warranty I will rebuild them but suspect battery tech will have moved on substantially.

Serviceability when out of warranty is hampered by the welded connections and tatty wireing these were built to a price.

However they work well and are grade A cells.
A nice display on each.
Easy connectivity to the 8kw ecco sunsynk we have purchased and are testeing.

Dreadful instructions and the password is for only the box on the protocol page in Chinese and that caused confusion.

No acess to the main settings via the bms software which yes they may feel would invalidate warranty but I'm.not to happy about that.
Does anyone have the main admin password not the protocol.one.

Pre order.
The process wasn't.a good experiance with no updates when.the shipment was late.
Credit where due they arrived although 1.5 months late.
Emails.igmored, excuses they realy should invest in a decent ticket system and update there customers.

All the battery cables for connectivity to each other were present and setup was easy.

The cabinet an excellent quality however mine damaged, again poor comms but we came to an agreament and these things can happen.

So.far I'm.in week 3 with variable UK weather the batteries have performed well.
Hopefully.the heat pads work and this helps in our variable winter if the packs get cold.

Warranty.
I kept the voice call.
" We will do what we can" nor exactly confidence boosting.
Luckily if anyone has an issue our of warranty and needs to change a cell they can of careful be replaced and tapped with a bar and that may be useful.info.
8.year warranty we will see.
15 year life time.will.tell.

Overall they work offer good value but come with poor customer service in my experiance.

It's not every day ine drops 8k on 5 batteries to test.

So other thoughts.

Sunsynk hybrid 8k is a great product.
Confusing instructions

Confusing hard to find detail.serup info and no support from.sunsynk if your a diy person so be warned they like qualified people, good and bad with that.

My unit sadly has a time.clock fault but although initial slow support this has not gone to the factory and have been.advised if required the unit will.be swapped for another new one.

Ohh Solar assistant to the rescue as the times out I created an automation using thr solar assitant acess to turn on off peak charging while I wait for a fix or new unit.

Anyway hope.thats help someone I have lots of other things I could add but it's getting late.

I would.be interested in hearing from those with the same batteries as I am unsure about the equalisation voltage I'm having problems getting the battery to stop charge and equalise and wonder what others are using as other mention details is sparse and I can't be bothered to ask for support as often ther is no reply from fogstar' " what do you want the password for" was the last comment on thr phone.
So at present going by others lifpo4 defaults.

Float on lifpo4 isn't.an issue, see the off grid garage videos on the subject And please buy Andy a spat :)

Pls ask if you have a.questiion and if anyone knows how to get the pace bms admin password for these fogstar rack batteries or you have it pls pass it this way.

Screenshot_20230918_224241_Brave.jpg

Screenshot_20230918_225205_Brave.jpg

Screenshot_20230918_225358_Brave.jpg
20230728_175447.jpg

signal-2023-07-25-19-35-33-100-4.jpg

For those interested the data images are from Solar assistant.
There are lots of ways to monitor your batteries.

The bms software

RS485 to a solution such as Solar Assitant, your inverter although often less detail. Home.assitant some other logger required, a smart shunt such as the Victron bluetooth one.

I have been lucky enough to be able to buy the equipment at trade and the payback works as does the equipment in general.
I had no additional discounts from Fogstar or incentives of any kind.

if this was provisioned for a customer I doubt it is cost effective for many and although I see the value and return and the education value doubt many will opt for a hybrid system something I feel has advantages over a purely AC grid tide system.

Solar technologies can now work cost effectivly however it can be a bumpy journey getting there.

Since poaying the above I have found this battery charging chart which clearly lists the required voltages.

https://footprinthero.com/lifepo4-battery-voltage-charts

split from hi-jacked thread

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum. I downloaded from Jakiper batteries website site this software PbmsTools_V2.5EN.zip. The password is 123456
That will enable you to change whatever you feel needs doing.
Its what I use on a daily basis via my PC to monitor my Fogstar batteries.

Welcome to the forum. I downloaded from Jakiper batteries website site this software PbmsTools_V2.5EN.zip. The password is 123456
That will enable you to change whatever you feel needs doing.
Its what I use on a daily basis via my PC to monitor my Fogstar batteries.
Cool many thanks I will try that tomorrow.
I had.been using the one from.thr fogstar site and had.not located the Jakipper one.

Any tips on the volatges you ended up.using?

@Mcskippster if you want a high quality setup, then it has to be Victron with your choice of batteries. It makes for an Incredibly flexible system, but it's expensive.

For voltages have a look at Andy's off grid garage recommendations.

@Mcskippster if you want a high quality setup, then it has to be Victron with your choice of batteries. It makes for an Incredibly flexible system, but it's expensive.

For voltages have a look at Andy's off grid garage recommendations.
Thank you.
Yes I mention Andy in the above and for those that missed it a voltage chart link to help others.

I'm.yet to look at victron and yes would have done things differently and it brings up more questions in respect to business development.

Batteries again as mentioned these are built to a price and doubt they will even get to the end of the warranty period, good and bad about the price part and when they degrade I will look at rebuilding them or if technology improves just move on, there is reason thrn for legal action if Fogstar are still around.

Would I buy them.again, as you say that depends on affordability vs quality and its always a hard balance to make.
And critically customer service after they have
your money is dreadful but the goods arrived.

Thanks for point me towards Victron I will have adeeper look.

Batteries again as mentioned these are built to a price and doubt they will even get to the end of the warranty period, good and bad about the price part and when they degrade I will look at rebuilding them or if technology improves just move on, there is reason thrn for legal action if Fogstar are still around.
Based on what evidence?

Would I buy them.again, as you say that depends on affordability vs quality and its always a hard balance to make.
And critically customer service after they have your money is dreadful but the goods arrived.
To keep the view balanced, I had excellent support from Fogstar when I purchased my EVE cells from them. They were pre-ordered, arrived on time, Fogstar got me the tech info I needed with regards to terminal torque etc. I could not fault them in any way.

Thanks for point me towards Victron I will have adeeper look.
Victron is superb equipment, relatively expensive, very complex but robust and reliable.

everything is built to a price, but from what I have seen, battery cell construction is the key to longer life. I've always suspected the electronic controls will be the weak point of any battery system, but only time will tell. If you can get your money back is under 5 years, you should be quids in whatever happens.

would.be interested in hearing from those with the same batteries as I am unsure about the equalisation voltage I'm having problems getting the battery to stop charge and equalise and wonder what others are using as other mention details is sparse and I can't be bothered to ask for support as often ther is no reply from fogsta
Hi, equalization is ment for lead acid batteries.. So if you cant switch that off, set it to the same voltage as boost (or in your case absorption). Unless your getting it confused with balancing?
I have had a set of eve cells from fogstar for a year now, all good. Diy with jk bmses, all good. Didnt have the pre built ones at the time, but prefer to do things myself anyway to learn more. The support from fog has been v good for me personally.