napit elecsa joining

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
can anyone see how joining these cowboys and paying them for notifiable jobs actually makes the trade any safer? on the contrary it has sent plenty sparks underground
Is that 50+ years back you are talking? before NIC / ECA ?

Do you not think in EVERY industry there are those who do stuff by the book and those who do stuff with NO paper trail???

Underground sparks have been around for Decades!.. Just look at all the houses with NO certs or labeled up CU's

Anyway safety and Underground sparks are two different issues...

:|

Agree 100% with the above. Plus; although it doesn`t have the status it once did, scam scheme membership helps you to appear a different breed than the cowboy joes.The providers are not perfect, in the same way as LABC, they simply cannot police everything or everybody.

One thing has struck me, though. Most sparkies joining a scheme have to provide 2 examples of work. 90% seem to do a job in their own house for one, and "hand-pick" the other.

I honestly believe that practice should be stopped. I show my area engineer ALL my certs from the last six weeks or so, and let HIM choose where we go. WHY? Because, if there ARE any mistakes being made by me, I would hope he would spot them, and point them out to me. We are ALL still capable of learning.

KME
I agree, to be allowed to work in someones house on the basis of a single job carried out in your own is laughable - yet DC&LG continue to accept such practices by the schemes. Remember, the schemes will refuse to accept ANYTHING that limits their membership (especially COMPETENCE).

Interestingly, BS7671 has it`s own definition of a "competent person".

One would assume that this same definition would be used as the qualifying criteria with regards using a signature to VERIFY a cert/report (i.e. for the signature to actually MEAN SOMETHING) - yet the Schemes use their own definition of a competent person! Surely the IET`s recommendations of who can "sign off" an installation etc. should override those of the Schemes since it is the IET that produce the standard in the first place ......... anyone smell a rat?

NICEIC is a wholly owned subsidiary of The Electrical Safety Council which itself is an independant charity.

Therefore NICEIC is a charity. Give generously guys.

ROTFWLROTFWLROTFWL