Need the meter moved

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

meady

Reaction score
Just had a look at a friends fuseboatd, he wants me to install a new cu. The only problem is there is hardly any room to play with thanks to the idiot who installed the new meter. (no consideration for the customer at all). I have told him to ring his supplier so they can move it to accomadate the new board. My question is does he have to pay for it being moved or are they obligated to do it free of charge???

http://www.meadelectricalservices.co.uk/

Rule of thumb......

If its faulty,

Dangerous,

Or part of moves & changes implemented by the supply and/or meter company...

they cover the cost so nice and Free for customer..

BUT

If customer requests the move to suit them..

You will be charged!!!

(e.g. whether it looks a mess or not there IS physically more room in the property to mount a CU bigger or second...

just longer ugly tails & or henley's etc...)

ie. NO essential safety reasons to obliged any Free work!!! :(

as specs said, if its a safety issue, its free. if they want it moved, they pay.

not that im saying to play with DNO stuff etc... but if its only to be moved a short distance, you could DIY

Generally I would do it myself if I could have had to cut meter boards down slightly in past to get new cu in. But only do what you are happy with.

Batty

i like the fact that everyone is advising moving the back board with the equipment on when again, no one has given any consideration to the supply cable.

For all you know it could be lead which only a fool would try and move a board with that feeding it.

And to the OP, i suspect the meter installer may not have had his mind reading head on that day.

It happens to us all.

Some more than others.

If its a straight/split con feed, it should move fairly easy, just keep connections straight. if its PILC, i would leave it. dont want that to go bang

Hi guys, i'm one of those idiots that fit meters for a living (Meterplus), as you all well know interfering with the Boards equipment is illegal. Up here in Yorkshire YEDL/CE Electrics are getting as keen as mustard on cutouts and meters that have had their seals removed. Any we come across have now got to be reported to Revenue Protection and followed up as a meter tamper. All the large contractors ie Bramalls, Boots, Connought, Kier, Keepmoat etc are insisting on 100 amp dp switches fitted before they will work on the installation.The cost of the switches is being passed onto the local authority (having their names dragged through the courts isn't good PR).

how much do they normally charge for a 100a isolator, and who exactly are you supposed to call? been many times where you just get passed dept to dept and no-one can help. and being asked 'whats an isolator' doesnt fill me with much confidence....

There will always be issues/disagreements between various arms of the electrical trade.

Every installation I do carries my name and business details for all to see it was ME :)

My mindset when doing the installation is, I want any electrician who follows me to see my work and think "this is a good job".

Its a pity that some electricians do not do this, and a pity some meter installers do not do it.

So I guess in the long run we even out on who is to blame.

Andy, i'll ring the call centre tomorrow and see if i can get a number for your neck of the woods.