Neff Oven not heating but element OK

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sjw

Reaction score
Have a Neff oven and the last couple of times the oven has been on the electrics tripped out (whole house). I thought it was probably a sign of the fan element beginning to fail when hot so got another. The resistance on the 'failed' one is 25 Ohms which is fine I think. New one reads the same.
I've just fitted the new element (it's an easy job and can be done without removing the oven, just a rear cover plate. Wires and spade clips look perfect.) - but bizarrely the oven doesn't heat up now!? I changed it back to the original one and that's the same - no heat.
The other mode (top and bottom element) works fine and the oven heats up (meaning thermostat OK?) fine.
Any ideas?

maybe another thermostat. or faulty selector switch. or a loose wire somewhere

fault finding by replacing parts and hoping for the best isn't he best method...

I don't know how old it is, but some older types have a very complicated function switch with lots and lots of contacts, and they are prone to burning out. It is usually obvious on inspection as many have the contacts exposed and you will see if they are burned.

I assume that as you've read the resistance of the elements, that you have a meter that can measure the voltage to the element ?

Trace back to the point where the volts disappear.

Thermostat, or disturbed wiring.

I had a microwave oven where a spade plug had never been fully inserted and it eventually vibrated off its terminal.

I have an older Neff oven with the complicated function switch. To use the fan I have to go to the position past fan and then back again. So it's well worth checking the switch. It doesn't seem to be possible to get a new switch.

@sjw as has been said, changing parts at random and or guessing rarely works, and is often expensive. You really need specific help, to that amends I suggest you ask at the UK white goods forum Click here to go there where they work on white goods all day long.

Hi all - I had no intention of replacing any parts at random. I had an element in the cupboard as I bought two when it last failed about 6 years ago. The signs were classic symptoms of a failed/failing element. I was then confused why the new one didn't heat though and the selector switch was a great idea. I just pulled the oven out and took the top cover off which allowed me to see the selector switch - which looked totally fine with no signs of arcing or shorts.
I then removed the rear panel and went straight to the rear of the element and saw what I was praying to see - a spade clip had worked itself loose and was just hanging. I put it back on and all is well again!! :)
Really glad it wasn't the selector switch as I looked and, as suggested above, couldn't find one anywhere.
Many thanks to everyone who took the time to help and offer suggestions (and the link to the White Goods forum) - very much appreciated! (y)(y)(y)