Neighbours question

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Badfish

Reaction score
Was asked by a neighbour today if I thought it was strange that when they turned the kitchen lights off all the sockets tripped. Not at all I said you may have a fault that's tripping the rcd. Any how when I look at the consumer unit I see that the lights are on a rcbo on one side of the board and all the sockets are on the rcd side of the board.now I say that is strange how often does this happen? Only when our son turns off the lights they say. As I was going out at the time I said I will have a closer look when I can.So my question is has any body come across this sort of thing before or any ideas on what I should be looking for.

Many thanks.

doubt its crossed neutral. otherwise both RCD & RCBO would trip as soon as the light is swiched on. not when switched off

also, does the RCBO trip aswell or just the RCD?

No just the rcd and has only just started to happen. The switch is a dimmer operating 8 down lights.They have just had a conservatory built on to the kitchen but they say it happened before the electrical work was finished.

No just the rcd and has only just started to happen. The switch is a dimmer operating 8 down lights.They have just had a conservatory built on to the kitchen but they say it happened before the electrical work was finished.
before the work was finished you say?

but not before the work was started?

remember, most RCBOs are only SP,

RCDs are DP,

so some faults on RCD will not show on RCBO .

some testing required methinks.

I thought that was old JIM Robinson ;) ; )he also did "Ugly Betty"
:Blushing I think you're right there Noz, Paul (Stefan Dennis) former owner of Lasiters Hotel became a failed british popstar....(it's amazing how much useless info i can hold!)

Latest posts