Neutral prong on plug

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jacky

Reaction score
Hi just want to know if anyone can help me please. I recently heard crackling noise coming from my plug which was in an extention I unplugged it at the extention then tried to unplug at the wall but took ages to get out then noticed there was discolouring at the neutral prong what should I do. Thanks jacky

As Andy said... New Plug AND Socket needed...

These sorts of problems are not uncommon with either the neutral or the live pins,
Often due to any combination of:-

Loose termination in plug..
Poor quality connections between the plug & the socket..
Loose fuse carrier connections..

e.g. some past examples I have encountered...

(1) burnt out live pin... and melting in the back of the socket..
IMG_0511.JPGIMG_0512.JPG

(2) Overheated plug fuse carrier..
IMG_0513.JPG

(3) Over heating causing the plastic insulation part-way up the pins to melt and distort..
IMG_0515.JPG

IMG_0516.JPG

Basically Overloading, loose connections, natural ageing and wear and tear.. etc.. etc.. could all be a mixture of your problem here! Which all comes back to Andy's answer.. "New Plug AND Socket needed"

Another thing that can cause the weak socket contacts is the use of the stupid unregulated, zero standard so called child safety covers that fit into the sockets, because they do not conform to any standard they may be oversize and stretch the socket contacts. They also have other negative issues, these so called socket protectors are often referred to as fatally flawed.
I know the members that have been on here a while are familiar with this issue but I just thought I’d mention it for newer members or anybody else that stumbles upon this thread.

And not to mention that a "13A plug" as designed seems incapable of carrying a 13A load for a long time without overheating. A fundamental design flaw?

Or is it a case that a few well made ones will, but the majority won't?

And not to mention that a "13A plug" as designed seems incapable of carrying a 13A load for a long time without overheating. A fundamental design flaw?
It is my belief that the design can operate OK under ideal conditions, BUT has inadequate safety margins to allow for wear and tear. Specifically, tired springs on the socket contacts, same on the fuse holder, very small actual contact area which is vulnerable to contamination, so raising its resistance. Further, very small metal content, of sometimes doubtful quality, so that any generated heat rapidly increases temperature, to the detriment of the contact springs, and leading to a thermal runaway.

The socket is a 1950s unswitched Crabtree. Local authority houses used to get one unswitched 13A socket per room and the wall paper is early 1970s I used tp have it my first house but mines was better trimmed at skirting. Where is that flex going under the carpet that will be the next thing going on fire?