New Around Here With A Few Questions

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This whole question is a "what comes first: Chicken or the egg" problem......

e.g.   do you need qualifications to get a job...

or can you get a job then add qualifications to enhance your position.

Historically gazillions and trillions of people have started jobs with ****** all qualifiactions...

Then just learned practical skills and sat formal qualifications to complement the skills they are learning....

(they used to be called apprenticeships before they were stopped!) 

So what about mature career changers.....

are qualifications enough....???

PROBABLY NOT!

The success rate of getting 95%+ (or maybe more)  jobs is 'WHO YOU KNOW' not 'WHAT YOU KNOW' 

So unless you already have some contacts and potential work to get stuck into...

realistically you have a 5% or less chance of getting into a new career.. 

be it Spark, Plumbit, Builder, Teacher, Barman, School cleaner etc.. etc...

The courses, pass rates, and portfolios mean naff all if no one is interested in you...

and even if you are the best qualified ..

if you are up against little Jimmy or Gail the bosses, cousins, nephew or niece then you are fighting a loosing battle IMHO.

:popcorn  

On here earlier someone was advertising a job in London for £14 an hour for an eight hour day. Works out about £23k. 

Supply and demand. Brickies are earning £300-£350 a day in London. Gas plumbers are on similar.

Stay away from electrics. There are already far too many. 

Last edited by a moderator:
On here earlier someone was advertising a job in London for £14 an hour for an eight hour day. Works out about £23k.

Supply and demand. Brickies are earning £300-£350 a day in London. Gas plumbers are on similar.

I'm on about £26k pre tax and struggling badly. but then I have 2 kids and my Mrs doesn't work so it's all relative. if your single and living at home £23k is great!

Move back to Essex mate, Cambridge/East Anglia is so undermanned with Sparkies, I don't have enough trainees to fill jobs that I get called about and every sparky I know tell me that they have too much work on. The female trainee I got a job for on Friday will be getting paid £10.50 an hour not bad for a trainee on their NVQ.

Move back to Essex mate, Cambridge/East Anglia is so undermanned with Sparkies, I don't have enough trainees to fill jobs that I get called about and every sparky I know tell me that they have too much work on. The female trainee I got a job for on Friday will be getting paid £10.50 an hour not bad for a trainee on their NVQ.

That is good.  We pay our guys (electricians) £15 per hour. I think it is a fair wage. Others may disagree I suppose.