New Build School Wiring.

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dado trunking is often used in office type applications but didnt I read somewhere to prevent something cant remember what should be singles instead of t and e

Dado trunking is often used in office type applications but didnt I read somewhere to prevent something cant remember what should be singles instead of t and e
You would use singles anyway in dado trunking, if only for cost, T/E would be unnecessary.

Deke

Green Hornet you don't think you may have been over engineering your design do you.? Schools don't usually draw a great deal of current on the sockets. I don't understand the reference to " a big industrial floor poloisher" ! Old fashioned ballast fluoros have been used for years in offices, still is, along with Cat 2 louvres . Don't see any problem with computers. I would have no problem with dado trunking either TBH. The lighting in 1.5mm is , surely, ok , presumably divided into , say, 4 circuits.If you quoted for emgy. ltg and fire alarm and they have not then they are going to beat your quote every time !!
You are correct I probably did "over engineer" its part of the way I work!. :x

The reasoning behind this is, if you are paying for a job to be done do it right so no extra costs are incurred at a later date.

Remember most clients think they know what they want then when installed they remember they have things like presentation nights, oh dear we have no multi media points. I qouted for a proper cable management system, future proof maintanance. The cables have to pass through 2 fire breaks in the loft space, my quote reflected this with intermitant fire strips placed around the cable management.

I also explained that each cable could be identified by markers and any part of the cable could be replaced without any disturbance to the structure of the building. In august last year a fire fighter had to be rescued from a building after becomming tangled in fire cable that had been supported by plastic clips that had melted, another extra cost!

The building inspector has agreed that it is cost over lives and he is not happy, however if I find nothing dangerous I can do nothing. To be honest I do not even want to get involved.

The fire alarm system has to be connected to the (old) school to indicate an alarm trip, not done by this electrician,one of the classrooms is used as a science lab, construction and use comes to mind as does detrimental influences.

My next quote is for a Hotel I have quoted

Lol I wish!

The clients want ground source heat pumps, sv solar panels, grey water recycling amongst others. The ground source pumps and the solar panels are outside my quote and I never mess with water unless its out of a tap.

I never thought but I could sub it out to speedy gonzales and his equally fast mate, first fix in 4 days complete job in 8 days cool.

Just heard some interesting developments with the new school and the electrician who did the work.

I thought I would post it here for you all to see what a disaster it was for the electrician.

I was asked today to wire a new school owned by the same group as the last school.

When I asked why the other electrician is not doing it, they asked "oh have you not heard? I told them I had heard nothing.

He had to go back and put it all right what he had done because it was the wrong specs it cost him an extra

You have to over engineer schools cos as soon as they get in there its, we want projectors, interactive whiteboards blah blah blah

Wudnt it be a requirement of Building control or the Fire brigade for LSF to be used throughout?

You have to over engineer schools cos as soon as they get in there its, we want projectors, interactive whiteboards blah blah blahWudnt it be a requirement of Building control or the Fire brigade for LSF to be used throughout?
Unfortunately the building regs and the fire brigade rely on the electrician to be doing the work to the current regulations, I am unaware of what reason the electrician was forced back to do the work correctly but there are some regulations that have to be complied with that have nothing to do with wiring.

Ie lighting levels at desk hight have to be within a certain lumen.

Then you have to adhere to the local education authority specs etc.

He did it on the cheap and got caught out.

Serves him right.