New Circuit

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That is why i wanted in writing from the manufacturer.  Their installation instructions.

just remember that your the electrician who has to certify the installation, not them. so get any advice / info from them to help you design the circuit, but dont let them tell you wht to do, especially if it wont comply with regulations

Is this not a fixed load then? (See regs on OVERLOAD PROTECTION EXEMPTIONS).

FAULT current protection is ALWAYS required but NOT OVERLOAD protection if its a fixed Load.

So it is ok to have a CPD size in excess of the cable rating IF THE FIXED LOAD can not overload the cable. 

i.e  a 0.75mm pendant flex is protected by a 16 Amp MCB because the LOAD it will carry will never exceed the flex rating.
Sparkytim,

The sunbed, may be a fixed load, but between the 80A fuse switch & the sunbed is a consumer unit, thus additional loads can be added, thus it can not be consided a fixed load.

it is a submain at the end of the day, unless you put a 2 pole mcb/rcbo at the load end, you can't allow for load end overcurrent limiting or protection.

I think you are right to demand them (or note they were not available on invoice) ..  and now you can say that other manufacturers make them freely available.

nb the pdf makes useful points about ventilation fans, emergency lighting, coin operated timers etc.  On the positive side these all sound like additional installation revenue opportunities to me but it might also be argued that they form part of the manufacturers installation instructions which must be followed . . .   e.g electrically limiting a session to 9 minutes max . .

Last edited by a moderator:
Bruspark,

You are correct, the manufacturer has a statute law duty to provide the information.

If they refuse then again you are correct, but I would note not just on the invoice, but the cert too.

good couple of posts bru ,

i like the option of a 'sell-up' for once, I dont generally like them, but in this case it makes a very valid safety case to fit a timer.  :)

good couple of posts bru ,

i like the option of a 'sell-up' for once, I dont generally like them, but in this case it makes a very valid safety case to fit a timer.  :)
But wouldn't you have thought some law or other would require a timer to be built into the sunbed in the first place? :C  

yeah, should be Dave, but, having absolutely no knowledge of these sort of things,

Id imagine the only sort of timer on it is a coin operated one that keeps going if you keep feeding it money.

yeah, should be Dave, but, having absolutely no knowledge of these sort of things,

Id imagine the only sort of timer on it is a coin operated one that keeps going if you keep feeding it money.
I wired up a smaller one a couple of years ago in a house...they also wanted me to bypass the coin timer, but when I explained the safety implications they agreed to keep it..

Contactum rotary  isolators are very roomy.

The only strange thing I find with this is why anybody wants to change there colour. I am very happy being white.