New House

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scouse

Reaction score
I am in the process of buying a house (first time) and am after some help and advice for home automation for

Lighting

Security lighting

Alarm

Heating

Etc

would like to know where to buy, what is good

Thanks

Best thing to do is some google searches have a look whats out there and what they can do. Most home automation has become relatively easy to do now because of the advancement of electronics, and a lot cheaper than it was before.

When you have decided what you want it to do you can narrow it down to individual componants which can be retro fit, or complete new din rail mounted systems linked to pc and security alarm.

I am in the process of buying a house (first time) and am after some help and advice for home automation forLighting

Security lighting

Alarm

Heating

Etc

would like to know where to buy, what is good

Thanks
Hello scouse.....

To be honest that sort of question is just too vague and open ended to offer any realistic practical advice..

It is about a practical as saying I am buying a car for the first time.. what is good?

we need a bit more info...

House:-

size, large, small, detached, semi, terrace, bungalow etc..

1 bed, 2 bed, 7 bed room.. etc..

budget for equipment..

its a thee bedroom end terrace

Not sure on a budget may spread it out over a while to get it right.

I have been looking into the X10 range and also the Comfort security system but the X10 is looking favorite as it is my own house i can spend the time planning & plotting.

Hope this helps

i had a customer that used the x10 system he was well happy with it. He got us to install some awful switches for the external lighting but he like them. For the money i havnt seen much like the x10. made our job a bit easier as the hallway and stairs lighting was PIR controlled from the x10 so saved us some time on two way and intermediate switching!

If you have the money go for crestron Wet Fish haha

I have a small x10 system in my house just for lighting using din rail mounted modules wireless switches and some wired momentary switches and have to say i think for the money its great the ld11 can dim up to 700watts which is pretty good and you dont hear the buzz becuase u have the modules hidden elsewhere also you can Get Ultimate flat plate momentary switches so even the switches that are wired can look good also the macros and timers you can set using the cm15 usb and active home pro software is great

its a thee bedroom end terraceNot sure on a budget may spread it out over a while to get it right.

I have been looking into the X10 range and also the Comfort security system but the X10 is looking favorite as it is my own house i can spend the time planning & plotting.

Hope this helps
Fitted some X10 stuff a few years back....

Customer supplied all the gear themselves....

I just wired it....

all seemed quite straight forward and easy to do..

But I don't have a clue what they cost or if they were good value for money?

:|

its a thee bedroom end terraceNot sure on a budget may spread it out over a while to get it right.

Hope this helps
X10 is nice and cheap but you need to use momentary switches and getting a good looking one IMO limits you, the other issue is that it does not operate on a 2way comms basis which means you could press the switch and the output may miss the command, other products work of the basis that input modules keep sending the command until the output acknowledges receipt of the instruction. X10 is great if you