new pay rates?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kmaccui

Reaction score
hi guys 1 of my colleagues mentioned to me about some companies trying to push through a new rate of pay along the lines of

In my industry they had smashed the rates right down, one project ALL staff had 5 quid an hour docked........along with a load of bull&*

If installing conduit is "Semi-Skilled " where would this hyperthetical semi-skilled electrician have learned how to do it . How do they know how how many cables are going in the tube ?

I've seen monkeys put steel conduit in on a big new school once , they were really quick, really cheap . Trouble was we couldn't wire it or it took forever to just to get a fish tape round. No one told them there is a limit to how many 90 deg. bends wiring will go round for a start . Or that you can't pull bends greater than 90deg. Bushes are supposed to be tight, as are threads . You start to wonder when the drawing asks for four ring mains on this floor but there is only one 20mm conduit leaving the board .

I fear for this trade if we are going down this road.

I was been nice when I said semi skilled

I know at least one electrician thatt served his time putting uo conduit, thats all he did for 3 years, at the end of it he was a fully qulfied electrician, in ihis own words he never touched a wire.

I am not putting down people that can do conduit, I'm crap at it.

Just sayiing that the abilty to do conduit doesn not make you a spark

Nor does been able to plaster or bricklay, these are seperate skills.

I have also herd this being mentioned this week.

I think this will cause all sorts of problems if implemented. On the job we are on at the moment, the main contractors are doing the chopping out. Unfortunately, they have let a labourer loose with a rotary stop drill and chisel bit and, as we predicted at the start of the job, it is a mess. They are not level or at the correct or same heights and even the chases are wrong, out of zones, too narrow for capping and too deep. a few have gone straight through the wall. We may as well have done it ourselves in the first place. █