New Regs For Fire Alarms?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

davetheglitz

Electrician
Reaction score
I've been told that there is some problem with new legislation requiring 3rd party certification of fire alarm panels - and because of this a lot of manufacturers are withdrawing a lot of their panels (from my own experience you can't get a Rafiki Twinflex 4 Zone Control Panel from most suppliers - only the Twinflex Pro),

Does anyone know anything about this? I've been told that this legislation will affect CU's in the near future.

On the other hand this might be complete b*****s!

I have not heard that explanation but we could only get a replacement  panel recently if we signed  the order as a replacement for an existing system installed prior to 2010. I cant remember the explanation given but when it arrived the CE mark had been scratched out & a sticker put on it. Will ask tomorrow  for a reminder why.

When i replaced it i fitted the original lid back on  :Blushing

Ok, in my case it was  that  the manufacturers  (Channel)  have brought out a complete  new range so have not paid for the upkeep of the CE  certification to the old stuff. The older stuff will still be available as maintenance only  for a few years, as replacement, not allowed to be sold for new installation.  Interestingly  their older Twinflex was mentioned as being withdrawn in the same conversation. I believe Channel are the manufacturers that other companies badge up. We have our assessment in just under 2 weeks so its another question on the list, after do you want another cup of tea with your fig rolls.

Hope this is of some help

Thanks Slips - makes sense!

I had this at  a business club breakfast meeting where I suspect a fire alarm wallah was trying to frighten off a mere electrician from dabbling in fire alarm panels.

My take is that I won't design anything - but happy to fix and replace!

It's all to do with this.  

http://www.constructionproducts.org.uk/publications/industry-affairs/display/view/construction-products-regulation/

Cooper sent me this recently.

Following the implementation of CPR, effective 1st July 2013, Cooper Lighting and Safety, Fire Systems have been reviewing all products to ensure full compliance to the relevant EN54 hEN’s, Harmonised European Standards.

In accordance with the legislation, we were able to manufacture non approved product prior to 1st July and appropriate levels of inventory based on historical demand were established, to mitigate any risk of supply, in preparation for the launch of the new panel in 2014.

Unfortunately we have experienced unprecedented demand for our Bi-Wire products which have resulted in our existing stock levels being depleted before the launch of our new panel. We have a small level of stock available on selective items, which we expect to be exhausted by the end of October.

A replacement panel has been developed and is in the process of submission for full compliance to EN54 part 2 and 4, unfortunately certification at the third party approval bodies can take between 6 – 9 months and as a result we cannot yet confirm the release date of the new panel.

To minimise the impact of supply to the market, a cost effective new range of fully approved conventional panels are to be launched in November, and full details can be provided by your Sales Manager.

We recognise that this has a significant impact with a number of our customers, however be assured that the launch of the new Bi-Wire panel is the top priority for the business to resolve and regular communication will be provided on the progress of the new panel.

Latest posts