NIC DI and Charity shop

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cirrus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have DI status with NIC and I have been asked to rewire a charity shop and provide a cert. Is this poss under DI scheme? If not, what do I do about changing status quickly?

It is possible to do any commercial or industrial work without being a member of any trade body. Its down to competancy again. Some local authorities will not accept certificates from a DI for commercial work because of the Part P fiasco, but there is nothing to stop you from doing it.

What have they asked for if they want an NICEIC cert you probably can't do it but if they just want a cert give them a standard EIC.

You cannot do this work under the DI scheme (unless it supplies a flat as well;))

But this does not stop you doing the job, just use non logo'ed forms!

Just make sure that they know you're not AC though

Thanks Chaps, was worried I may have to turn the work away. I have also been asked to do a PIR on a night club and wondered if the insurance co can stipulate NIC or if I can do it under my own steam (as I currently do on domestic PIR's)

Thanks Chaps, was worried I may have to turn the work away. I have also been asked to do a PIR on a night club and wondered if the insurance co can stipulate NIC or if I can do it under my own steam (as I currently do on domestic PIR's)
Insurance companies can be a pain, I have done industrial and commercial PIr's and have had right set to's with insurance companies, I had to provide all my certificates because I was not AC. After some to and fro's they accepted my pir.

This is one reason why I am going AC this year, I just hate having to prove myself every ten minutes, its better to prove yourself one day a year than every other week :)

We`ve been here and done this before, IIRC.

They`re customers, and request that the work is only done by people less than 3` tall, in green and pink striped uniforms, if they so wish.

That is their right, as customers.

Why do you think so many commercial / industrial guys go NICEIC? It certainly isn`t cost or loyalty - can`t say its down to them being especially helpful, either.

For me, it was because I`ve never heard of any AC`s cert being unrecognised by any insurer, council, or other body. Plus, I think its better known to the man on the street than any other.

KME

Cirrus,

I have had some paperwork from an Ins. Co. recently wrt PIR's and they did mention NICEIC AC, along with ECA, NAPIT, SELECT and a few others so don't panic.

As long as you are competent to do the work and have the appropriate insurances in lace from your side then you are fine.

Just be sure to check you have the OK on 3ph, as KME pointed out recently some policies exclude it.

It is an endorsement on mine but it is not active!

You will also need to ensure that your PI covers you for commercial/industrial PIR's not just domestic.

You could use the IET certs, or the NIC green ones, just don't put your DI no. on them!

This is the main reason, along with GH's comments I went AC from the start!

Is it easy to upgrade from DI to AC? I heard they want to see 10 jobs (which can be tricky if you can't get 10 jobs due to the customer wanting an NIC AC)

Cirrus,

Don't know about the upgrade, ask them?

For my AC it was a 1/2 day office visit to go through the paperwork and ask a few questions of each other.

The full day assessment the NIC area engineer picked 6 jobs from the list of all those we had done.

Looked at 2 domestics, 3 industrial, & 1 commercial of his choice as long as we could get access, one was a PIR, 1 a MW rest EIC jobs.

We`ve been here and done this before, IIRC.They`re customers, and request that the work is only done by people less than 3` tall, in green and pink striped uniforms, if they so wish.

That is their right, as customers.

Why do you think so many commercial / industrial guys go NICEIC? It certainly isn`t cost or loyalty - can`t say its down to them being especially helpful, either.

For me, it was because I`ve never heard of any AC`s cert being unrecognised by any insurer, council, or other body. Plus, I think its better known to the man on the street than any other.

KME
That exactly what i was going to reply, saved me a few words
default_good%20luck.gif

Is it easy to upgrade from DI to AC? I heard they want to see 10 jobs (which can be tricky if you can't get 10 jobs due to the customer wanting an NIC AC)
They have to be leanient on your first year of AC membership, don't they. How can they assess you on work that you are unable to do/have done done any of, but actually need their status that you are applying for.

It is like passing you test on a PSV/HGV and everyone saying that they won't take you on because you have no experience - How the heck do you get experience if no-one will take you on?!

Anyway, I will find out for you Mate.

I have recently done this had to show them 6 jobs all commercial or industrial (they wont even look at domestic for AC status) And all jobs had to be full re-wires they would not even concider minor works ect....

And allow at least 3 months after your initial assessment

There is a loophole in the requirements for AC that should allow everyone to become AC.

I am not going to divulge the loophole but it will give you full AC regardless, but the next assessment you would have to be prepared far better.

Going back to what ElectekAir said, you can become AC even if all your work is domestic. It has never been needed before Part P because you either was or you was not, in which case some authorities used you and some did not.

Like I said I am going AC next assessment just to save myself some hassle.

I've learned recently via the NICEIC that even as an approved contractor there are distinct definitions. For example if you're an AC that only really does domestic, you're not actually covered to do commercial etc. Their view is that if you want to be covered in a certain field of electrical installation work, then you must put forward examples of it for assessment. This was straight from the mouth of an NICEIC employee from their Admin department.

That is very true and which often misleads people. Its a little like limited scope, but no one is really aware of it.

Which is one of the loop holes to AC that I referred to in my post.

I have recently done this had to show them 6 jobs all commercial or industrial (they wont even look at domestic for AC status) And all jobs had to be full re-wires they would not even concider minor works ect....And allow at least 3 months after your initial assessment
Not so for my initial assesment. a Domestic was accepted as part of my quota of jobs...Thats NICEIC for you though isnt it ?