NIC Visual Inspection Certs....

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jibspark

Electrician
Reaction score
I was just looking on the NIC website at the green certificates they sell and i noticed they sell certificates just for a visual inspection...

is this a new thing? does anyone on here do just visual inspections for people?

plenty of people do use them, and make alot of money for as they say 'old rope'.

ive heard NAPIT are not going to be doing VIRs and i emailed ELECSA about them and they said they were happy with their range of certs.

Visual inspection reports have been out for a while now and is sometimes preferrable against a PIR.

Take for example a landlord who only has a tennant for a couple of weeks, at tennant change he or she is obliged to do a safety check on the electrical installation.

In this case a visual inspection would satisfy all the regulations and requirements.

plenty of people do use them, and make alot of money for as they say 'old rope'.ive heard NAPIT are not going to be doing VIRs and i emailed ELECSA about them and they said they were happy with their range of certs.
Maybe thats why some clients preferr or ask for NICEIC?

Visual inspection reports have been out for a while now and is sometimes preferrable against a PIR.Take for example a landlord who only has a tennant for a couple of weeks, at tennant change he or she is obliged to do a safety check on the electrical installation.

In this case a visual inspection would satisfy all the regulations and requirements.
The landlord is NOT obliged to do anything to test the electrics.. any more than a domestic homeowner is obliged to have a PIR every 10 years.

However it is good practice and a reputable landlord would take all reasonable care to ensure the safety of his tenants

The visuals are what many people refer to as "A Landlord Certificate".

Even if the same tennant is still at the property, the normal 10 year next PIR duration could leave many problems unnoticed.

Thus an annual visual electrical inspection (e.g. when also having the annual Gas service inspection done) is a good practice.

but NEITHER are a legal obligation to have done.

Maybe thats why some clients preferr or ask for NICEIC?
When people tell me they need a NIC cert 90% of the time they have no idea who the NIC are and think they are refering to the electrical equivalent of CORGI (or gas safe as it is now), which the NIC are not.

I dont hate the NICEIC or anything, i will have to join them one day as i have the attitude if you cant beat them join them.

When people tell me they need a NIC cert 90% of the time they have no idea who the NIC are and think they are refering to the electrical equivalent of CORGI (or gas safe as it is now), which the NIC are not.I dont hate the NICEIC or anything, i will have to join them one day as i have the attitude if you cant beat them join them.
Why I am not, had a recent job for a chap I do work for on the plans it said NICEIC registered. I did work gave all certs only thing surveyor wanted was my registration number which shows you do not have to be NICEIC registered just qualified and registered with a body.

Batty

so presume its literally just a look in the db, check the bonding, look for any obvious damage to fixtures, open up sockets, switches and light fittings and that's about it?

do you all just do a percentage like you do with a PIR?

i have a better one - i dont need windows... i just need a pen and paper and a comfy chair in the office!(well maybe not, im not that rough)
What's "rough" about that, Andy? There is nothing wrong with doing it the "good old fashioned way".

;)

:D

What's "rough" about that, Andy? There is nothing wrong with doing it the "good old fashioned way". ;)

:D
yea, but the "good old fashioned way" requires a visit to the house!

gotta think of the environment and global warming here - why visit a house burning diesel if you dont have to!