NICEIC or NAPIT?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

liddley

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I am concidering self employment at the moment and am looking to join a self certification body such as the NICEIC. I have looked into both NICEIC and NAPIT schemes, but I find the NIC seems to be more hassle and expense than NAPIT. Having never worked for my self I dont have 10 pieces of work signed off by building control for the NICEIC assesment, to join the full scope scheme. But NAPIT only need to see one piece of work and you can sign it off as your first job. Also its over less than half the price of NIC for the first years membership.

Have any of you guys got any advise on this matter and what does the first assesment entail?? :_|

What NICEIC scheme were you thinking of joining..

"Approved Contractor" or "Domestic Installer"????

When I looked into it for DI I found NAPIT to be more of a problem as you need NVQ level 3??

I don't have a NVQ anything!!!

got 2381 & 2391 though!!

What NICEIC scheme were you thinking of joining.."Approved Contractor" or "Domestic Installer"????

When I looked into it for DI I found NAPIT to be more of a problem as you need NVQ level 3??

got 2381 & 2391 though!!
I think NAPIT probably look for an equivalent to NVQ 3 - which may just be experience. I haven't got NVQ3 but did an electrical engineering apprenticeship in the 70's. Probably worth contacting them.

Personally I like NAPIT - every operative is qualified - they are focused on the testing - and they don't make a fuss!

Been with NAPIT a few years now cant fault them, very informal compared with what you read about NIC. Some companies insist on NIC but a quick call to the field officer soon sorts that out Applaud Smiley. I rang with an electrical query which was answered by the girl on the switchboard... well impressed lol

What NICEIC scheme were you thinking of joining.."Approved Contractor" or "Domestic Installer"????

got 2381 & 2391 though!!
2391 is level 3 C&G, or is that not the same as NVQ??

I'm with NICEIC Approved Contractor. They are expensive and do have problems, apparently good office staff are hard to get at the new hq, so why move there? But I look at it as advertising I spend my money where I get results, not Thompson or yellow pages but yell.com and local directories. Sadly we all have to belong to a scam provider and I think NIC give best income for expenditure. My mates dont think they get any work form being in elecsa, thier words not mine.

NICEIC are what the public tend to know about, but from other threads on the topic tech support may be better with the others. All down to do you want a logo the public know or a good tech team. For me its the logo as I've only had to use the tech line twice and to be fair I got good advice.

Never had a problem with NIC, and have recently changed to Approved Contractor. Main benefit is higher level of public awareness, and more importantly recognition from local government bodies if you want that type of work.

I have just joined NIC (awaiting assessment) after much deliberation. I prefer Napit but the Local Auth's I work for insist on NIC. Am not sure how they can but I best tow the line and go with what they want or get down the dole office. Seriously though, a benefit with NIC is that out of all the scam providers, they seem the most recognised and most of my customers have never heard of Napit / Elecsa etc

I'm with NICEIC Approved Contractor. They are expensive and do have problems, apparently good office staff are hard to get at the new hq, so why move there? But I look at it as advertising I spend my money where I get results, not Thompson or yellow pages but yell.com and local directories. Sadly we all have to belong to a scam provider and I think NIC give best income for expenditure. My mates dont think they get any work form being in elecsa, thier words not mine.
NICEIC are what the public tend to know about, but from other threads on the topic tech support may be better with the others. All down to do you want a logo the public know or a good tech team. For me its the logo as I've only had to use the tech line twice and to be fair I got good advice.
Never had a problem with NIC, and have recently changed to Approved Contractor. Main benefit is higher level of public awareness, and more importantly recognition from local government bodies if you want that type of work.
I`ve been Approved Contractor for 3 yrs with NICEIC. My previous posts on the benefits over & above other providers are well documented on this forum.........

As you`ll note from above, customer visibility & recognition are the main things. Yes, they`re more expensive; and yes, the assessments are harder (in my opinion), but is that not a good thing??

N.B. My area engineer has just left, after todays annual assessment day. It is always stressful, but I enjoy the technical "sparring" - not just how you`ve done something, but why.

N.N.B - Passed. Those who read last years comments will know how chuffed I am. :Ymethinks.

Thanks guys for your input.

I was concidering Napit to be honest,I thought the niceic would be a good bet because its the one that always comes up. you only have to watch programs like rogue traders on tv and they always tell the public make sure your electrician is an niceic registered spark before letting them do work in your home.Niceic must bung the production company some money!

But to be honest i asked about and most people dont even realise they are supposed to have work selfcertified by their electrician let alone who the niceic are.So not to sure if it matters which company you go with??

confused!!

Hi Liddley, if you only do domestic work then all you need is a Part P Government scam provider , such as NAPITT , ELECSA (which is now ECA) so that you sign off your own work. I always found NICEIC too picky and fussy TBH, others may tell you different.

If you do commercial /industrial then only NICEIC Full Approved Contractor is recognised.

Thats mostly for PIRs TBH. You also need it for inclusion on local authority lists, Hospitals, Police, Fire, Banks , schools etc.

If its domestic only go with ELECSA.

Deke

Thanks

So with niceic how do you go about getting 10 jobs for the assesor to look at when you can not self certify them untill you are a member of the full scope scheme? Because I am starting from scatch I do not have a portfolio of jobs for them to inspect. I have been told that I will have to get the Local Authority Building Control to sign off my work, is this costly? ?:|

1: forget NIC.

2: notify once you pass assessment..... or, pay LABC fee and notify that way. or, there are some stories of LABC not charging normal fee if the job is going to be used as an assessment

Would the nic ask for the LABC cert befor you use the job for assesment?

You will have to excuse all the questions ,as you can tell Ive not done anything like this before always been employed.

cant say for NIC (although someone who is reg'd with them will confirm), but elecsa didnt ask me for any LABC certs or anything. he just wanted to look at the job and the EIC

ThanksSo with niceic how do you go about getting 10 jobs for the assesor to look at when you can not self certify them untill you are a member of the full scope scheme? Because I am starting from scatch I do not have a portfolio of jobs for them to inspect. I have been told that I will have to get the Local Authority Building Control to sign off my work, is this costly? ?:|
Think you have some garbled facts here...

"Self certify": one assumes you are referring to Domestic work Part P approval etc...?

"Domestic work": only need TWO jobs;).... not ten???? :eek: ? :| :|

Would the nic ask for the LABC cert befor you use the job for assesment?You will have to excuse all the questions ,as you can tell Ive not done anything like this before always been employed.
NICEIC are using your assesment jobs to test your competence, Knowledge and Understanding of current wiring regulations, BS7671.

They are NOT testing what you have or have not done about notifying past work....

Which only really becomes an important factor, when you are a member of a scheme provider. When they then want to verify that work you notify through their scheme has been notified correctly!

;) Guinness

NIC / NAPIT / ELECSA / BSI etc...

do a bit of simple market research in your local area.....

Browse through the electricians in your Yellow Pages...

see which scheme Logos are most prolific! ;)

Latest posts