No earth in wall lights

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Subneural

Reaction score
I'm in the middle of working on a house thats about 25 years old.

Really big place (5 beds, 4 bathrooms, 2 offices, snooker room) in the middle of nowhere so on a TT and been extended about 4 times from the original.

Its been a right nightmare all through with the upstairs ring broken so I've had to put it on 2 radials and an earth rod reading 374ohm so that needs looking into (probably easier to just ft a new one)

Anyway, the dining room wall lights have no earth at the metal light fittings (4 of them) although there is one at the switch. I've dug into the wall as much as I can and it looks like singles. Owner refuses to let me disconnect and doesn't want the work done yet although maybe later this year.

Can I put on the certifacte that there is no earth and the owner has been made aware but doesn't want it rectifying as I dont believe I am allowed to just disconnect if they disagree.

unfortunatly, you cannot do what the customer doesnt want. put it on the cert, and also put it in writing (and get them to sign a copy) saying thats its dangerous and should be disconnected/earthed as soon as possible

Last edited by a moderator:
unfortunatly, you cannot do what the customer doesn't want. put it on the cert, and also put it in writing (and get them to sign a copy) saying thats its dangerous and should be disconnected/earthed as soon as possible
edited ^ :coat

not that simple... but i have seen something similar done to 'earth' the gas (which was metallic and had a lower Ra than the rod!) or water. and ive seen it more than once!
dont tell me it was by a heating firm?

have came across this a lot by heating engineers on the gov grant work, banging in a rod to save having to get a 10mm back to the CU, most of the guys I spoke to reckoned it was the way their bosses had told them to do it.!!!

dont tell me it was by a heating firm?have came across this a lot by heating engineers on the gov grant work, banging in a rod to save having to get a 10mm back to the CU, most of the guys I spoke to reckoned it was the way their bosses had told them to do it.!!!
dont know who had done it. strange how it was always done before they moved in