No Problem Found.

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sparky Sam

Reaction score
Hi all, I've just been called out to a student accommodation where I was told the power kept tripping when anything was plugged into the downstairs ring. The landlord had his own plug in socket tester and he said even that tripped it.

I tested out the circuit, the ring continuity was absolutely fine and the IR was,

P-N 4.56 M

P-E 165 M

N-E 165 M

The place was rewired 6 years ago.

The house is a bit damp but clearly nothing enough to cause an IR 'problem'.

I was then left wondering where to look next and couldn't find a problem in testing so I connected the ring back in and went to test at each socket with just a plug in polarity tester, they also came up good, nothing tripped and still up and running.

My question is, is there anything I have missed? Should I just tell the landlord that it's all fine but to contract me if it goes again and to get the info on exactly what set it off?

Thanks in advance,

Regards,

Sam.

Hi all, I've just been called out to a student accommodation where I was told the power kept tripping when anything was plugged into the downstairs ring. The landlord had his own plug in socket tester and he said even that tripped it.

I tested out the circuit, the ring continuity was absolutely fine and the IR was,

P-N 4.56 M

P-E 165 M

N-E 165 M

The place was rewired 6 years ago.

The house is a bit damp but clearly nothing enough to cause an IR 'problem'.

I was then left wondering where to look next and couldn't find a problem in testing so I connected the ring back in and went to test at each socket with just a plug in polarity tester, they also came up good, nothing tripped and still up and running.

My question is, is there anything I have missed? Should I just tell the landlord that it's all fine but to contract me if it goes again and to get the info on exactly what set it off?

Thanks in advance,

Regards,

Sam.

You have missed giving sufficient information for anyone to give any valid evaluation.....

Power Keeps Tripping ????

a/ RCD  (30ma non time delayed)

b/ MCB

c/ RCBO

d/ RCD (100ma Time delayed)

e/ BS3036

f/ OTHER??????

Then..

is this "UNKNOWN" protective device...

1/   dedicated to purely the socket circuit...???

2/   or is it a common RCD protecting multiple circuits....?

If 2/  DID YOU CHECK THE OTHER ASSOCIATED CIRCUITS?????

:coat

+1 to above

also gut feeling this is an RCD that is tripping...

not a 30A or 32A Fuse/MCB

So... did you test the RCD is it oversensitive?

or operating correctly...

Only done half a job so far by the sounds of it..?

Sorry, my bad I wrote this quickly on my phone in the van,

RCD 30mA was tripping out, never did while I was there and I tested it and it was fine.

The RCD also covered other circuits but the fault was only reoccurring every time the ring MCB was

switched back on.

There was nothing plugged into the ring at all.

I also had the difficult factor of 4 students who's answer to everything was "dunno mate" as far as what time and what socket on the ring being used when faults occurred.

Added to that is the unknown factor of students having done something daft and keeping quiet so the landlord doesn't point blame.

After zero faults found I plugged in their kettle and toaster etc to run with a bit of load and still no problem.

I did consider the irony that after it tripped it was then the landlords 'socket tester' which I have no idea what it was causing the trouble.

Thanks,

Sam

doesnt mean the fault is on the ring... could easily be on a different circuit
Sorry, didn't explain fully. The RCD tripped (or so was said, in the whole time i was there I didn't see any fault at all) the instant the ring MCB was switched on. This apparently happened about 20 times, why he felt the need to do it 20 time is beyond me but I'm starting to think he left his socket tester in a socket while this happened and that may be the cause of the RCD tripping.

shoulda done an IR test on every other circuit as well, or a global to see if there was low IR

Sorry, didn't explain fully. The RCD tripped (or so was said, in the whole time i was there I didn't see any fault at all) the instant the ring MCB was switched on. This apparently happened about 20 times, why he felt the need to do it 20 time is beyond me but I'm starting to think he left his socket tester in a socket while this happened and that may be the cause of the RCD tripping.
but that still doesnt mean the fault is on the ring circuit

So it didn't trip while you were there. I would imagine it is something one of the students is plugging in that is faulty.  As for landlords socket tester get him to show you while he is there.  

Last edited by a moderator:
e.g.  Total leakage only needs to be 20mA (and may be less unless you've tested it) to trip the RCD.  Combination of leakages on multiple appliances (Kettles, toasters, electric heaters, ) on other circuits can make it seem the last circuit switched (back) on is the culprit.