No show customers

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maselec

Reaction score
Nice Friday job today, I thought, 3 security lights and a wireless alarm to fit, sun was out, quite looking forward to it. Turned up to the job knocked on the door, no answer. Phoned the landline, could it hear it ringing (the first time) but still no answer. Waited an hour left a card and went. Tried to go to another job I have in the area but can't get in until tommorow. So I returned home and found 2 e-mails waiting for me:-

1. Are you part p registered?

I had already informed her that I was. I also directed her to the LABC website for part p info.

2. I will call you at some point in the day to let you know what time to come.

We had already arranged a time. Its on the contract of works that she signed. headbang

So I'm now all dressed up with no place to go, at home on a Friday and forced to work Saturday. I doubt she still wants the work doing, probably got someone in cheaper or is doing it herself (one of those that asks a lot of questions they don't understand the answers to). As I said, I have a contract of works, its only a

Send her a bill for call out and wasted hour. If she doesn't pay threaten legal action. What does the contract state in these situations?

Basically my contract states description of work, seperate prices for materials and labour, start and finish dates, payment details (same day payment on completion). I was advised on works contracts by NAPIT and wanted to cover myself against non-payers and customers trying to claim additional work for free. I will be making provisions for this in future though, through an admendmant to my standard contracts.

I would also like to add that this lady is of a certain ethnic minority:| and against others advice I have always taken jobs on from this particular group. I've had about 7-10 in all and would say that only 1 has run smoothly, all the rest have had completely unnecassary stoppages and problems and the last 3 have been nightmares. I always try and take every customer on their own merits but I don't think I'll be taking any more jobs on from them. My Grandad was an immigrant and I'm the last person in the world to be predujiced but I do think that maybe the stereotype fits the majority in this case.

Basically my contract states description of work, seperate prices for materials and labour, start and finish dates, payment details (same day payment on completion). I was advised on works contracts by NAPIT and wanted to cover myself against non-payers and customers trying to claim additional work for free. I will be making provisions for this in future though, through an admendmant to my standard contracts. I would also like to add that this lady is of a certain ethnic minority:| and against others advice I have always taken jobs on from this particular group. I've had about 7-10 in all and would say that only 1 has run smoothly, all the rest have had completely unnecassary stoppages and problems and the last 3 have been nightmares. I always try and take every customer on their own merits but I don't think I'll be taking any more jobs on from them. My Grandad was an immigrant and I'm the last person in the world to be predujiced but I do think that maybe the stereotype fits the majority in this case.
If she has signed the contract then she is liable for payment of some sort as if not it would be breach of contract.

Try a debt collector if all else fails. A contract is a contract - something I should make better use of. I did a job a while ago for an asian guy, never again, funny thing is he keeps phoning about once a year and gets a fob off. One day he might take the hint.

I have sent bills to people who have called us out and wasted time by not being there.

You need to state when they get the contract that if job not canceled 24 hours in advance of start [specify how they must cancel, unless you get emails on your phone] then you will charge 50% of total quote or half a days labor plus a call out (currently

You do give them a copy of the contract to keep?
Yes, the customer has a copy and I have a copy, both signed by both parties.

Amendmants being made tonight I think, live and learn.

Try a debt collector if all else fails. A contract is a contract - something I should make better use of. I did a job a while ago for an asian guy, never again, funny thing is he keeps phoning about once a year and gets a fob off. One day he might take the hint.
Thats the thing, I don't think a lot of people even think they're doing anything wrong! (although todays customer obviously did otherwise she'd have answered the door!)

maselec,

Would you be interested in Uploading that ammended contract to our Download Area.

Under "Category", please select the "Contracts", which is in the "Electrical" section.

Many Thanks.

maselec,Would you be interested in Uploading that ammended contract to our Download Area.

Under "Category", please select the "Contracts", which is in the "Electrical" section.

Many Thanks.
Not a problem, will be getting it done over the weekend.

Ill follow from the thread maselec, no need for PM, added thanks but it doesnt show on my screen.

Thanks again anyways

James

BE WARNED....

By law we must all issue contracts which include a 7 day cooling off period. After the 7 days the contract is water tight.

You can carry out work before the 7 days, but the customer must sign to waive the cooling off period, if they do that then they can also cancel part way through the job if they so wish..

Here's an old one I did...

If you use it please remember to remove my details...

Whilst I have had the same as you all and it has cost me money I have also had a couple of customers with genuine reasons for not being there ie heart attack and death in the immediate family. Lets hope this is not the case but also not be too quick to condem

oh i used to get this all the time i get them to sign a contract with any cancelled repair/s work will encure a 25% stock charge and i used to get this alot when i used to do alot of model photography ( models are so dumb some days) " sorry i cant come for a shoot i'm ill ( facebook status: yoo i'm in the pub getting pi$$$$$$$$ed lol ) ....the service trade was bad last year as well costumers bringing in tv/dvd/radios/pc for repair and never come and collect it .. oh sorry we got a new one now or oh i'm not paying that price ( 35.50) for pc checkup virus removel and pat test if it needs it ..

Was going to mention the cooling off period, but you can still charge for time spend prior to cancellation, ie the initial visit (I don't do free quotes only free verbal estimates).

To make sure in future I would ALWAYS insist on a third deposit- more if there is a high material cost or there are special order items.

In the past I have found those who won't pay a deposit will not pay at the end / cancel late.

ps I take credit / debit cards