noggins in plasterboard wall

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sellers

Reaction score
has anyone got any tips for getting cables through noggins in an existing plaster board wall. A new switch is required and theres a nogging about 18 inch - 2foot above it.

Is the wall decorated? or can some sort of access hole be cut then re-patched up?

Doc H.

dym.jpg

Couple of holes either side of noggin then long drill bit (i use a wood bit + extension bar) through noggin.

or

Slot across the nogging through platerboard then notch out the noggin, run in cable fit a safe plate over notch & patch in the plasterboard afaterwards.

Used both methods myself, just warn the customer that you need to break an egg to make an omlete;)

Think yourself lucky with just having stud walls I've got an upcomming job (rewire) & need to run cables in for switch drops through lav/plaster walls with noggins :_|

sorry yeah, i forgot to say i wanted to keep the walls as they were as they are decorated. Have you used the long drill bit with extension method before?

sorry yeah, i forgot to say i wanted to keep the walls as they were as they are decorated. Have you used the long drill bit with extension method before?
you cant, we do as andy says . draw wire to switch and chop plaster out to get over noggin. we dont generally chop out the noggin as it can weaken the support to the wall if near a fixing.(worse case)

has anyone got any tips for getting cables through noggins in an existing plaster board wall. A new switch is required and theres a nogging about 18 inch - 2foot above it.
Get someone else to do itROTFWLheadbang

you cant, we do as andy says . draw wire to switch and chop plaster out to get over noggin. we dont generally chop out the noggin as it can weaken the support to the wall if near a fixing.(worse case)
i used a long spade biut to get through a noggin in the plasterboarded wall here at home, cut light switch in, then drilled thru wood and cut twin socket in below job done, (the trick is the switch / noggin are near to each other ;)

go in from the otherside of the wall,,,,,,decor will not be ruined then.!!!!!!

if they are that botherd about the deco what about a wireless switch?

or

if they already have a switch and just want the other one to be 2 way why not change the existing one to remote control?

as i say, only if the deco is a major problem.

or burn a bloody great hole in the floor and they wont notice the small hole in the wall!

or tell them their decor is pants and well overdue for a refresh,,,,,,

so ill get on with the switch then ???

this has got me thinking, are there any wireless options for this sinario?

like GET, or MK echo? anyone used any of these? are they any good for this situation?