Non Visible Gas Earth

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kmaccui

Reaction score
Hi guys i could use some advise please.

We are a bit quiet at the moment and we have been getting a few jobs to check that gas meters are connected to an earth cable,no problem there, but our boss is wanting us to run in a new cable so that 1's which are not visible will not need us to go back in a years time to do the continuity check again when the gas is rechecked.

We (the sparks) have spoken to the Housing Assc maintenance dept and they are ok with just a continuity test.

99% of these houses would need a cable run front to back of house meaning a good deal of expense and also possibly trunking all around someones home which is not needed.

Basically what would you say to the boss?

No its illegal asking us to do it or yes no probem boss

thanks in advance

Last edited by a moderator:
how do you know its done though? can you identify the earth at the baord that goes to the gas to check that alone? will be very easy to get parallel paths that could make it look done although the earth is only 1.0mm CPC from the boiler etc

I don't get it, you got no work and then trying to turn nose up at work. So long as the person paying for the work is happy with it, get on with it. :Salute

544.1.2 does use the term "where practicable' with regard to the location of the main protective conductor connection. If it is impractical to connect it within 600mm of the meter outlet union or at the point of entry to the building (if the meter is external) then connect it at another appropriate location but as close as possible to the meter/ point of entry. You could then fix a notice/ label to the gas meter/ box and consumer unit to signify where the connection is.

or just whack in a rod next to the gas, just like this

IMG00041.jpg

BARX its not turning our nose up at the work its the fact we have been told by the housing association that they are happy with a continuity test but our boss is wanting us to get money out of them for work that does not need doing and if we get caught then thats fraud to start with and also the contract gone meaning our jobs potentially gone to :(

APACHE yeah there is the possibility of going outside

REVVED UP thanks for that regulation

in our eyes it boils down to doing work that is not needed for short term gains where as every year we will be needed to go back and check it but are we looking at it wrongly???

thanks for the input guys

how do you know its done though? can you identify the earth at the baord that goes to the gas to check that alone? will be very easy to get parallel paths that could make it look done although the earth is only 1.0mm CPC from the boiler etc
Thats true Andy we normally disconnect each 10mm earth and connect it to the megger until we get what should be the right 1 but as you say there could be parallel paths

BARX its not turning our nose up at the work its the fact we have been told by the housing association that they are happy with a continuity test but our boss is wanting us to get money out of them for work that does not need doing and if we get caught then thats fraud to start with and also the contract gone meaning our jobs potentially gone to :(

APACHE yeah there is the possibility of going outside

REVVED UP thanks for that regulation

in our eyes it boils down to doing work that is not needed for short term gains where as every year we will be needed to go back and check it but are we looking at it wrongly???

thanks for the input guys
Sorry, didn't read it properly :Blushing

Thats true Andy we normally disconnect each 10mm earth and connect it to the megger until we get what should be the right 1 but as you say there could be parallel paths
Andys answer to everything is "parallel paths" :huh:

The more I think about this thread the less comfortable I feel about anybody verifying an earth connection they haven't seen.

I suspect that if you are going back to check every year that sorting the earthing properly and leaving it in a visible place may be the best all round. Chances are if you can see the gas meter you can see best part of 600mm of pipe either side........

The more I think about this thread the less comfortable I feel about anybody verifying an earth connection they haven't seen.

I suspect that if you are going back to check every year that sorting the earthing properly and leaving it in a visible place may be the best all round. Chances are if you can see the gas meter you can see best part of 600mm of pipe either side........
But people do have a thing for boxing in water stop ***** and leaving only the handle showing :|

What would they do if it were to leak??

Just because you can see it, it doesnot necessarily mean it is connected or even complete.

How many of us have seen cable stuffed up behind the meter board? I have seeen situations were 10mm cable was fixed to the stopcock but then under the florboard the cable was then connected to 1.5 t&e all the way to the floor under the db then connected to 10mm up to the db.

Sneaky buggers, there is continuity but the resistance is too high.