Nothing to do with anything really .

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Evans Electric

TEF LINUX ADMIN™
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Gas_Street_Basin_Worcester_Bar.jpg

Spotted this on tinternet , pub at the back is the James Brindley where Mrs Deke and I listened to Jazz Bands on a Sunday afternoon on the balcony .

The only good thing Birmingham Council ever did was the re- vitalising of Gas Street Basin and Brindley Place .

Just felt like sharing that , no reason really .

Last edited by a moderator:
Many happy memories made at the Brindley. When I worked in the telecoms industry, the pub had it's own site designation on our database. Calling the pub was sometimes the only way to find a switch engineer on a Friday afternoon. :) Happy days.

Nice part of the canal network there. We spent a night not quite in the basin, but on the linear visitor moorings just under Broad street. That's one of the better parts of the canal. we also spent a night at the Black country museum.

There are plenty of places on the canal around those parts where one would not wish to stop for a night.

Nice part of the canal network there. We spent a night not quite in the basin, but on the linear visitor moorings just under Broad street. That's one of the better parts of the canal. we also spent a night at the Black country museum.There are plenty of places on the canal around those parts where one would not wish to stop for a night.
Well you have to look out for the rats Dave , two legged and four legged!!

Theres a great friendliness on the canal system between the boat people which I hope you experienced .

And if anyones not sure , they're narrowboats NOT barges by the way. And yes, if anyone is in that part of the country , The Black Country living Museum is well worth a visit.

And if anyones not sure , they're narrowboats NOT barges by the way. And yes, if anyone is in that part of the country , The Black Country living Museum is well worth a visit.
+1 to visiting the Black Country Museum. Even better if you can arrive their by narrowboat.

Well worth seeing there is the narrowboat President. I believe it's the only working steam powered narrowboat left.

It took part in the Queens Jubilee pageant on the Thames last week, being the oldest and longest of the narrowboats that took part in that at a length of 73 feet, and built in 1909. Not that you would know anything about that from the BBC's appalling commentary where they did everything possible to avoid talking about boats.

Also worth doing the trip into the Dudley tunnel on one of their electric boats. the Dudley tunnel is built to a smaller dimension to most other tunnels so most boats won't fit through, though they are obliged by appointment to give you a free tow through the tunnel with their electric tugs if by chance your boat will fit.

I have a passion for narrowboats, having had several holidays aboard hired boats. One of our plans when we retire is to buy our own narrowboat, and spend a few years aboard exploring the entire interlinked canal and river network.

Id love to go on a narrowboat holiday, but the boss wouldnt permit it, it would most definitely not be on her top 100 holidays of choice.

or maybe it would just be the thought of being in too close a proximity to me for a week she couldnt stand........

Have a narrowboat holiday without the boss? perhaps with a bunch of forumites?
:^O

I just had a silly moment wondering what the boat would look like after a bunch of sparks had been aboard for a week.

Lights festooned all over the place, empty cable drums lashed together as a raft to take the spare beer cooler, new IP68 (submersible) main isolator at the gangway head and not forgetting the earth rod dangling over the side.

Soooooory.... :coat

QUOTE=ProDave;277526]Have a narrowboat holiday without the boss? perhaps with a bunch of forumites?

I nominate Dave as designated driver.

:^O

The tall windowed building next door to the Crowne Plaza anyone have any ideas please?Is that Broad Street in the back ground?
That's Alpha Tower 27 floors. I used to maintain some of the equipment up on the roof there. We went through a phase of running up the stairs. We stopped when one of the engineers ran up the stairs in under 3 minutes carrying his tool case and a role of coax. We knew when we were beat. :D

The tall windowed building next door to the Crowne Plaza anyone have any ideas please?Is that Broad Street in the back ground?
You've got me thinking now Sidey......Broad Street is to the left I would say , at the back is Bristol St . The canal at the left goes under Broad St.

Edit: Not Bristol St ....Suffolk St. :C

Brindleyplace_Birmingham.jpg

Some more veiws af the same area guys.

---------- Post Auto-Merged at 19:02 ---------- Previous post was made at 19:01 ----------

birmingham-travel.jpg

---------- Post Auto-Merged at 19:02 ---------- Previous post was made at 19:02 ----------

Birmingham_canals_800.jpg

As Mefil says thats Alpha Tower

just round the back of the old ITV studios where TISWAS was done!

http://i291.photobucket.com/albums/ll306/SPECIALLOCATION/GASSTREET.jpg

The direction of view is roughly as per me big arrow on this aerial shot...

Broad street can be seen on the picture.

the little arrow and red dot is the one end of the Queensway tunel..

That's Alpha Tower 27 floors. I used to maintain some of the equipment up on the roof there. We went through a phase of running up the stairs. We stopped when one of the engineers ran up the stairs in under 3 minutes carrying his tool case and a role of coax. We knew when we were beat. :D
Was that with Mercury / Cable & Wireless at all?

They had (or still have) comms stuff on the roof of Alpha Tower..

and about 2 or three floors office space..

Guinness

Brindleyplace_Birmingham.jpg
Some more veiws af the same area guys.

---------- Post Auto-Merged at 19:02 ---------- Previous post was made at 19:01 ----------

birmingham-travel.jpg

---------- Post Auto-Merged at 19:02 ---------- Previous post was made at 19:02 ----------

Birmingham_canals_800.jpg
That first picture is pretty much where we moored the boat on our trip through there.