Notifying The Council Of Cu Change And Additional Garage Submain

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

amateursparky

Reaction score
Hi

I'm not part P registered however am qualified to 2330 Lv2 + Lv3. Currently doing my 17th. My plan is to use my sisters new house as one of the two jobs you need to join NICEIC.

I have spoke to the manchester building regs I need to submit full plans because it's considerably cheaper than a Building Notice. For full plans they want a wiring diagram with cable sizes and breaker sizes. Here's what I've come up with: Any comments be much appreciated!! If all is well then I'll be sending this off to building control on Monday.

106-wiring.jpg

106-wiring2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't know what your council want as I've never submitted full plans however I have 2 comments about what your planning on doing...

1.0mm boiler circuit protected by 16A MCB???

All garage circuits protected by 2 x 30mA RCDs - no discrimination

and one comment about your diagrams..

I'd state the circuit types e.g. Ring or Radial and maybe how many accessories are connected as it looks like your socket circuits are 2.5mm 32A radials the way you've drawn it.

Depending on the situation I'd get rid of the RCD in the garage unit and have an isolator instead.

Boiler should be 6A MCB or 2.5mm

Smoke alarm circuit doesn't need to be on the RCD unless wires are going up chased walls (same with alarm).

Get out of the habit of saying "Ring main".

Depending on the situation I'd get rid of the RCD in the garage unit and have an isolator instead.

Boiler should be 6A MCB or 2.5mm

Smoke alarm circuit doesn't need to be on the RCD unless wires are going up chased walls (same with alarm).

Get out of the habit of saying "Ring main".
HAHAHA Sorry didn't know the boiler uses that little. Yes that does make sense.

personally Id wire the garage so that you didnt need 30mA protection in the house, only in the garage unit, less hassle.
Ok the CU currently only has two unprotected ways next to the main switch. They're used for the burgular alarm and smoke detectors.

Can I swap the rcd in the middle for rcd & mcb combined' class='bbc ipSeoAcronym'>rcbo to generate an extra way then shift breakers along. That way I have extra way next to main sw. replace the bus bar so the 3 ways are powered from the main sw. But I'll have to make the unprotected N bar longer since iit only has 5 holes three holes.

1)N from main sw

2) RCD 1

3) RCD2

4) unprotected way 1

5) unprotected way 2

Ideally I want the alarm unprotected too you see.

HAHAHA Sorry didn't know the boiler uses that little. Yes that does make sense.

Ok the CU currently only has two unprotected ways next to the main switch. They're used for the burgular alarm and smoke detectors.
Surely you can move the RCD's and MCB's along to make that three non RCD ways?

no it's a cti board. Can I just move the rcd? The neutral links are formed (bent to shape) so I don't think it'll reach

I was thinking more of a garage for what garages are for,

I know my missus wouldnt be best pleased if corrie/eastenders/xfactor/whatever got interrupted by me playing in the garage,

so, if its a remote utility room then RCD at source, if its a proper garage RCD locally.

no it's a cti board. Can I just move the rcd? The neutral links are formed (bent to shape) so I don't think it'll reach
same thing,

Im fairly certain they come preformed with cut busbars and [as you say] preformed links, you cant change the configuration,

cheap is cheap, as they say,

double up the alarm and smokes is the easy option,

are your alarm & smokes able to be non RCD'd ? ie, do the cables run surface?

Well lets be honest here,,,, how many garages are actually used to only store motor vehicles (notice I didn't say cars, just for your bikes Steps ;) ) ??

Mine has a 18" path down the side to the freezer and tumble drier,,,, the rest of it is rammed with work and boats

Notice the plural of boat,,,, we bought our daughter a Topper a week or so ago,,,, she already has a wish list of over £400 for rigging alterations :eek:

So Mr DIY is out there and using a circular saw, he cuts both arms off and the lead to the saw, he cant phone for help, he has no arms.

The wife is watching Eastenders and cannot hear his screams, so he bleeds to death ;)

point taken Noz, and I do agree,

I still dont think on the general RCD is good,

maybe an rcd & mcb combined' class='bbc ipSeoAcronym'>RCBO with something else on it?